Joy Division

Pixel

The Woolly One
Reaction score
Apologies if there's a thread for these already, I did a search but couldn't find anything specific.

Joy Division - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is anyone here into this band? I discovered them in my teens, but up until a week or so ago had not listened to them for many years. A lot of people I know find them too disturbing, given their extremely depressing nature, to even give them a fair try, which is a shame because despite this, they do have some truly amazing songs.

Love Will Tear Us Apart

Disorder

Atmosphere

New Dawn Fades

Day Of The Lords

Transmission

She's Lost Control

Decades

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I missed them completely back in the day, but I do have two of their albums now. I did enjoy the movie chronicling Ian Curtis's tragic descent into despair, powerful story.

I do have to be in a pensive mood to listen to JD, they are not the music you play when you are feelin' upbeat about things.

empress

Reaction score
i've only recently gotten into them, and i've only heard about six or so songs but so far i think they're great. Shadowplay's my favorite song so far.
idk though, i don't have to be in a bad mood to listen to them? it's just not that depressing to me... lol.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Pensive doesn't mean a bad mood to me Empress, just reflective or introspective, like I feel when I want to listen to Pink Floyd for instance.;)

Pixel

The Woolly One
Reaction score
I did enjoy the movie chronicling Ian Curtis's tragic descent into despair, powerful story.

I haven't seen that yet, but will try and get hold of it ASAP.

Have you read his widow Deborah's book 'Touching From A Distance'? If you haven't then you definitely should, it's a really moving story detailing her life with him.

As for the band, I don't actually own any of their stuff at the moment, so will have to have a look for some.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^It's interesting Pixel they only released 2 studio albums before Ian Curtis committed suicide, then the band changed their name to "New Order" and went on to great success.

I haven't read that book Pixel, however the movie I watched Deborah had a major part in it and it might have been based on her book...I can't remember it's been a few years since I watched it.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Great band, I missed them in the day but have listened to them for years, as LG says you have to be in the right mood:)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
JOY DIVISION ?:grinthumb I love them ...but no surprise there because I love this dark sombre kind of music . So many bands were influenced by these guys.....Pixel you have put some top tracks up .:cheers2 Great to see a thread about them . A real tragedy about Ian Curtis :rip:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^What struck me most about Ian's tragic demise, was how little his bandmates paid attention to what he was going through. What made the songs powerful was Ian's writing and singing, they were so caught up in becoming "Big" they didn't stop to realize Ian's songs were about impending personal disaster. To a man they all felt guilty afterward and one even was mad he killed himself just when they were on the verge of superstardom, then he realized that they had failed their friend when he needed them most.

Very powerful and moving film, I felt so bad for Curtis and his family.

Pixel

The Woolly One
Reaction score
^^What struck me most about Ian's tragic demise, was how little his bandmates paid attention to what he was going through. What made the songs powerful was Ian's writing and singing, they were so caught up in becoming "Big" they didn't stop to realize Ian's songs were about impending personal disaster. To a man they all felt guilty afterward and one even was mad he killed himself just when they were on the verge of superstardom, then he realized that they had failed their friend when he needed them most.

I wasn't aware his bandmates were so oblivious to how he was truly feeling (although I might have read about it years ago only to forget afterwards, not entirely sure). It's a shame they couldn't see that helping him through it, or at least trying to, should have been a priority at that point. I often wonder what musical direction they might have taken had he not committed suicide; whether they would have continued along the dark gloomy path, or perhaps changed their style to something less depressing.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online