Kate Bush (Official Thread)

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I couldn’t find a thread for Kate Bush and thought she deserved one being one of the most popular and successful female artists to come out of England. I’ve admired her work for many years, and still remember the first time I heard her sing – I’d never heard such an unusual, haunting and captivating voice. She’s certainly unique and love her or hate her she has carved out an impressive and prolific career and has been an inspiration for many.

I’ll be doing the thread in parts, starting with her childhood and the years up until she burst into public view. To refresh my own knowledge of her life and work, and add anything I didn’t know, I will be referring to online sources and a wonderful book I have, ‘Kate Bush: A Visual Documentary’ by Kevin Cann and Sean Mayes, which I treasure as it is signed by Kate :)

katebush.jpg

Kate Bush

Kate Bush Official Website

Studio Albums

1978 The Kick Inside
1978 Lionheart
1980 Never for Ever
1982 The Dreaming
1985 Hounds of Love
1989 The Sensual World
1993 The Red Shoes
2005 Aerial
2011 Director's Cut
2011 50 Words for Snow

Born Catherine Bush on July 30, 1958 in Bexleyheath Maternity Hospital, London, Kate is the youngest of the three children born to Dr Robert Bush and Hannah Bush (now both sadly deceased). She has two brothers, the writer, poet and photographer John Carder Bush – known as ‘Jay’ – and the accomplished musician Paddy Bush. Apart from a brief time when Kate was around five or six when she and her family emigrated to Australia only to return less than a year later, home was a rambling 17th century farmhouse in East Wickham, Kent, which you can imagine was the perfect surroundings for a young and creative mind to flourish.

Kate was born into a musical family, her father played classical piano and her brother, Paddy, various stringed instruments, so from a very young age music was a big part of Kate’s life, “Music was an obsession”, she once said talking about her household.

tl35udpdqmrurmp.jpg

Young Cathy, photographed by her eldest brother, John Carder Bush

In September 1968, Kate started senior school – St Joseph’s Grammar School in Bexley - and was obliged to learn an instrument as it was compulsory. She chose the violin and, despite not enjoying it, played quite well, reaching Grade 2 in her exams after the first year. Having little interest in the violin, as soon as she could (or as soon as her mother allowed her!) Kate dropped the violin and took up the piano, which she had been introduced to by her father. He taught her a few keys and it didn’t take long for her to start creating chords and simple melodies.

2749973142069128cb63.jpg

From left to right: Hannah, Paddy, Kate and John (Jay)

Kate was often to be found joining in with her brothers’ musical sessions. Jay had a folk band and during rehearsals she would sing along to the chorus and dance around enjoying the music. And she often accompanied Paddy on whatever instrument he had chosen to pick up and play (he would later play all manner of instruments on Kate’s albums from mandolin, sitar, violin and harmonica to more unusual instruments like the balalaika (a Russian stringed instrument, similar to a guitar, with a triangular body) and koto (a Japanese stringed instrument like a zither), and not forgetting the didgeridoo and a musical saw!

katebushi.jpg

Kate and Paddy (playing an autoharp) singing together. Photo by John Carder Bush.

At around the age of 11 Kate started writing, she excelled in English and often contributed to her school’s end of year magazine. She enjoyed poetry and started setting her poems to her chord formulations on the piano. Kate revealed, “I used to write poetry like everyone else did in English classes and everyone was free to read them, we always used to read each other’s work. But people at school didn’t know that I was writing songs.” Even towards her older school years when she started to think that maybe she would like to pursue a career in music, her class mates knew little of it. But in the privacy of home Kate was coming on leaps and bounds with her musical compositions and with her brothers’ encouragement she had started recording demos of her own work by her early teens. The whole family realised that she had a real talent for music, and in a rare interview her father once said, “Her songs seem to write themselves, whole stanzas at a time, in her head, whilst I’m struggling to put one word after the next.” Indeed, she wrote the outline to ‘The Man With The Child In His Eyes (for which she later won an Ivor Novello Award in 1979 for Outstanding British Lyric) at just thirteen years old.

katebush2.jpg

When Kate was 14, a family friend, Ricky Hopper, who had connections in the music business, helped her send the demo tapes she had been recording to record companies, but they didn’t seem interested, some even described her music as “morbid”, “boring” and “uncommercial”. But Ricky had another plan. He had a friend who’d he’d been at Cambridge University with, who he thought would be able to help Kate get the break she deserved. That friend was Pink Floyd’s Dave Gilmour. He played Dave some of Kate’s demos and then invited him to come along and see her perform. Dave was impressed and invited her to his house to record some new and improved versions of some of her work in his home studio. But these were still turned down. At this point Kate was losing heart and starting to think that a career in music was maybe beyond her reach - perhaps she should forget her dreams and choose a more conventional profession. She toyed with the idea of social work or a career in psychiatry, and, doing extremely well in her ‘O’ Level exams – she gained 10 – she decided to stay on at school into the sixth form and study for ‘A’ Levels. But her love of music, and her dreams, would not go away, and after a year of sixth form she decided to leave school. It was summer of 1975 and Kate had just turned 17.

l750edefb366b07500b8860.jpg

Kate with Dave Gilmour

Last edited:

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Re: Kate Bush

Just before her 17th birthday Dave Gilmour had introduced her to EMI producer Andrew Powell and all three sat down, listened to the demos of over 60 of her songs, and chose three - ‘The Man With The Child In His Eyes’, ‘Saxophone Song’ and ‘Maybe’ - for a professional demo which Dave paid for. The resulting tape was good – so good two of the songs on it would later be included on Kate’s first album, ‘The Kick Inside’. At that time Pink Floyd were at EMI’s Abbey Road studio recording, ‘Wish You Were Here’ and Dave had a plan – he would bring Kate to the attention of Bob Mercer, then General Manager of EMI’s pop division, whilst they were working at the studio. One day Bob dropped by to see how Pink Floyd were doing and Dave asked Bob to listen to Kate’s demo tape. He was very impressed with what he heard, especially when he found out how young she was and that she had been writing songs since her early teens. After meeting her he knew she had the potential to make it and become a star and a deal was discussed.
Things finally seemed to be moving in the right direction for Kate, however it was a while before a deal was to be signed. During this ‘limbo’ time she discovered a new passion – for dance. She had been to see a show by the famous mime artist Lindsay Kemp and had been mesmerised by his performance, so much so she signed up to attend his classes at the Dance Centre in Covent Garden. She attended other dance classes, and trained with the choreographer Arlene Phillips, her life now revolved around music and dance.

In July 1976, just before Kate’s eighteenth birthday - and a year after negotiations with EMI had started - a four year contract was signed. However, EMI felt Kate needed some time to develop as she was so young, and were happy to let her spend time polishing her performance, training her voice and writing new material. Kate demoed further songs and had to resist pressure from EMI to make her songs more commercialized.

The following March Kate was inspired to write what would become her breakthrough (and biggest selling) single, ‘Wuthering Heights’ based on the heroine created by Emily Bronte. Of the song Kate said, “ I’m sure one of the reasons it stuck in my mind was because of the spirit of Cathy. As a child I was called Cathy. It was just a matter of exaggerating all my bad areas because she’s a really vile person. She’s just so headstrong and passionate and crazy, you know. It was fun to do – it took a night and a half!” Several weeks after this her brother Paddy put together a band with three of his friends, Del Palmer, Brian Bath and Charlie Morgan, and asked Kate to sing with them. As the KT Bush Band they played gigs in and around London in pubs and clubs until July. This boosted her confidence and gave her some valuable experience - good preparation for what was just around the corner. Then, finally, EMI call her back to the studio to start work on her first album, ‘The Kick Inside’. Kate was now 19.

It took just under two months to complete Kick Inside. A first single was chosen from the eleven songs - there was some disagreement between EMI and Kate about which song to release, but in the end she got her way and Wuthering Heights was released in January 1978.

There was now a flurry of interest in Kate from the media, all the commercial radio stations were playing her single, she did countless TV appearances and magazine and tabloid interviews and it was said that she was the most photographed woman in the UK. All seemed to be smitten with her charm, intelligence and beauty.

wutheringheightssingle.jpg

On 7th March, 1978 (my 8th birthday :)), Wuthering Heights reached Number 1 in the UK singles chart, knocking the giants of pop, Abba, off the top spot. It would also reach No.1 in France, Belgium, Italy, Australia, Ireland and New Zealand, with top ten spots in several other countries.

Kate Bush had well and truly arrived!!!

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score

I know very little about Kate Bush but WOWZERS, this calls for a thread about methods to successfully forward marriage proposals to recording artists.

JUST KIDDING :)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

This might surprise you Tray....but I have a couple of Kate Bush albums, I know kick inside is one of them.....:D
Aeroplanes right she was a babe in her day...

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

:grinthumb For some reason I thought you may have some of her stuff - maybe you mentioned it to me before, not sure.

Yes she was certainly a beautiful looking lady. The last pic I've seen of her is from around 2005 and she was still looking lovely :)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

:nana: Whoo hoo! You've started it and it is looking epic! :cheers2:grinthumb I can't wait to take a closer look after work! I have one Greatest Hits package by Kate Bush and this will help me get to know her better in a cool way! Great job Tray! :grinthumb

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

Thanks Sooty! Her greatest hits collection 'The Whole Story' was actually the very first album I bought by her too :)

gguerra

Reaction score

I've always liked her.. She kind of reminds me of a female Peter Gabriel
Here she is with David Gilmour

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Awww.....you beat me to that track Gguerra ! Good to see you back on the forum by the way :cheers2
Hang on Tray...just found another album Ive got "hounds of love"
So heres another track I like....:)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online