Journey (Official Thread)

Fever

Reaction score
Re: The Official JOURNEY Thread

Journey with Robert Fleischman on lead vocals back in 1977 before Steve Perry joined the band.

Anytime

Wheel in the Sky

Fever

Reaction score

Tried to post a video but didn't show up.Oh well.This has been happening to me everytime lately.
I do the CTRL C then the youtube then CTRL V.It is used to work for me.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Tried to post a video but didn't show up.Oh well.This has been happening to me everytime lately.
I do the CTRL C then the youtube then CTRL V.It is used to work for me.

We will get you sorted out, Fever. I will send you some detailed instructions :)

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

I kinda figured you would like that album from Journey. Not all of Journey's albums were driven by the vocals of Steve Perry and not all of Journey's music was pop oriented either :)

It was the over-synphony of many trax that annoyed me in Journey :):)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

OK, I gotcha S & L. but for some reason I never considered Journey a symphonic band :dunno:

Or do you mean over synthesized?

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

OK, I gotcha S & L. but for some reason I never considered Journey a symphonic band :dunno:

Or do you mean over synthesized?

s, that's right....symphonically synthesized:):):peek

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

First, I must say that Snakes and Ladders kind of it hit an element of what I was thinking but didn't quite vocalize about the Journey debut! I don't like to throw the word pompous around because it hits the wrong nerve with people plus everyone's definition of it is different. It's not one of those concrete words. To be honest I was coming off the shock of hearing this Journey and to be honest it made more sense to me after cranking up the Steve Perry version in it's entirety on my way home. Those songs are pop perfection right there. Sweet candy that has an almost mystical dreamy quality carried into the stratosphere by the perfect vocals of Steve Perry. The songs are perfectly crafted diamonds unlike the drifting, spaced out, atmospheric quality of the debut.

I was going to review the follow up album, "Look Into The Future" but decided it would be best to combine the listening in sequence with a do-over of the debut. Upon re-listening to the debut I found a deeper appreciation of it while still finding flaws based on my own personal taste. I must reiterate how cool Greg's vocals are! Did he move onto to another band? I've really grown to really appreciate his vocals! :grinthumb My favorite track of both albums is still "Of A Lifetime"! It's the perfect gelling of all the cool elements of early Journey (from what I've heard) and I love Greg's vocal in this as well as how it meshes with the whole vibe of the song! But moving on from what I already liked upon listening again I appreciated the instrumental melodies a lot better this time and let myself get lost in it. I think it could have been better in parts like the repetitive drums and guitar riff of "Kobotek" that break up the beautiful melodies at the beginning and end. Overall, honestly that album represents the name "Journey" more than Steve Perry's version though "To Play Some Music" was a hint of the future pop direction IMO.

Speaking of pop direction..........

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

.....I read that the sophomore album

Look Into The Future

album-look-into-the-future.jpg

was going to be more pop rock outing than the debut. Would this please me more? Honestly, not really! I would have been happier with the elements of the first album tweaked (more Rolie vocal parts, more succinct tracks with more melody and less repitition)! This one came out of the gate and sounded almost like Elton John with "On A Saturday Night" and "It's All Too Much" (plus mucho guitar additions, touche!)! It just seemed liked an awkward transition. Rolies vocals are on this more but I wanted them to have more exposure with the spacy melodic stuff! They sink back into things with

Anyway

which is a great fusion of the two styles! Darker and more melodic! :grinthumb I love the quality and tone of his vocals here which resemble how they were with "Of A Lifetime"! This was one of my favorite tracks but the followup, "She Makes Me Feel Alright" while having a lot of energy did nothing for me. "Your On Your Own" really gets strange and psychedelic but is a decent song just for the strangeness alone. The affect where's thin after a bit though! The next song, the title track:

Look Into The Future

This is my absolute favorite track. Greg shows he can deliver a pure ballad and they let him shine here. He reminds me of Bob Seger a little as well as an equally emotional but less warbly Joe Cocker! Nothing instrumentally bored me! It was just a strong melody throughout and it always built up well to Rolie's vocal. The guitars even while jamming kept in tone well with the melody and continuing with it's Journey! The song picks up great at the end and it's so epic that I wish the album stopped with this song! :grinthumb I mean I really do as it ends with the jam sessions as if it were the middle of the album again. Overall, this album had it's highlights but was oddly constructed and the new pop element were equally awkward. I'll take the experience as a high note just for the "Anyway" and "Look To The Future" tracks though! :cheers2

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I don't have this album, Sooty, and have always considered this album a low for Journey.

In answer to your question about Gregg Rolie, he went solo in 1980. He also formed a band called The Storm in 1990 and briefly reunited with a couple Santana members forming Abraxas Pool in 1998 and finally ended up as The Gregg Rolie Band. He has never given up on music!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TGIElvis7

Members online