Jon Bon Jovi Opens Pay-What-You-Can Eatery

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
The Soul Kitchen opened it's official doors on Wednesday in Red Bank, NJ. I think this is a really nice thing Jon is doing.:grinthumb

Bon Jovi's Pay-What-You-Can Eatery - WSJ.com

If you are heading down to the Jersey Shore on a cold and rainy Wednesday morning, it might as well be to hang out with Jon Bon Jovi.

This week, after a soft Friends and Family period to work out some of the kinks, Mr. Bon Jovi and his wife, Dorothea, opened the doors to what he hopes might be the first of several Soul Kitchens here.

The idea is this: There are no prices on the menu, which features such items as Garden State Gumbo, with chicken, pork sausage and Jersey fresh kale and a BBQ grilled salmon filet with soul seasonings, sweet potato mash and sautéed greens. Diners who are able to pay should leave more than the suggested minimum donation. Diners who can't afford to pay can volunteer to work at the Soul Kitchen to cover their meals. The restaurant will be open on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night and for Sunday brunch.

The initiative is part of the JBJ Foundation, which for the most part has focused on developing affordable housing. But with the economic downturn, great achievements in that area were slower to come by, Mr. Bon Jovi explained. One night, he and his wife caught a segment by Brian Williams that showed restaurants offering free menu items to needy patrons in Salt Lake City and Denver. They decided that feeding the community would be the next step for the JBJ Soul Foundation.

NY-BG512_NYSCEN_G_20111020173932.jpg

Jon's father John Frank Bongiovi Sr.
NY-BG513_NYSCEN_G_20111020174002.jpg

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
This is going to be big!! A very noble gesture for Jon to do.. Hope it catches on and starts to spread..:grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I watched a big thing about this on the early morning news.

The only drawback I can see to the concept is they expect the people who are getting the reduced/free food to work in the restaurant or sign up for other volunteer services. If the people actually do volunteer and carry out the promise to work, this new restaurant will be a ground-breaking idea.

I sure hope it works out !!

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
I watched a big thing about this on the early morning news.

The only drawback I can see to the concept is they expect the people who are getting the reduced/free food to work in the restaurant or sign up for other volunteer services. If the people actually do volunteer and carry out the promise to work, this new restaurant will be a ground-breaking idea.

I sure hope it works out !!
Whenever I go to work, I see the same panhandlers working the freeway offramp. A couple of times when I have excess food that I can't eat I always bring it for them. They are down on their luck so why not but though it appears to be nothing wrong with them except a dearth of opportunities.

Yes, I sincerely echo the same sentiments that it could really assist folks that have no alternatives for shelter and sustenance in their lives.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Whenever I go to work, I see the same panhandlers working the freeway offramp.

Panhandlers......

I know a fellow who panhandles in Cincinnati. He told me he makes about $100-150 a day panhandling. He can cry on command, make extremely sad faces, and has a slew of heart wrenching stories..............

Since meeting him, I dont trust panhandlers :nw:

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
I'm hoping this continues to work for Jon. He has actually been doing it for the last 2 years, but this 'official' location just opened. Here's more from the article. It's lengthy so I didn't post the whole thing.

The JBJ Soul Kitchen began serving meals two years ago, using pilot locations at a local soup kitchen and a church. Enlisting a few friends and their in-kind donations of time and effort, the Bon Jovis took over and renovated a decrepit 1,100- square-foot auto-body shop into this permanent home which, to its great advantage, has the comforting look and feel of a neighborhood hangout spot.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
I love Jon Bon Jovi. Can't think of a nicer thing to do. His Dad looks like someone out of Ramsay's Best Restaurant!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online