Johnny Thunders (Ex NY Doll)

mrJim

Reaction score
Just about One Month away waiting waiting...... And a Soundtrack is planned double LP on Red Vinyl.

jungle-records.com said:
"A double-LP soundtrack album will be released in November, in a numbered, limited edition, exclusively on red vinyl. An official 'Black Friday' Record Store Day release. Cat. no. FREUDLP116..

Jim

mrJim

Reaction score
Thunders reissues now start, So Alone on the Drastic Plastic label. on 200 gram vinyl hmmmm

Up for Pre Order

I don't know the Drastic Plastic label, but I am already assuming it was master from a CD.

rtbuck

Reaction score
So Alone could really use a good remaster. I love the CD especially with the bonus tracks but the vinyl sounds much better. I will definitely buy the vinyl remaster as my vinyl is pretty shot

mrJim

Reaction score
I have been saving my Vinyl copy for years. Protecting it! savoring it once in a while. I have a commercial copy of the CD that I mostly listen to.

but.....

if I could just find out more information about this one to determine if it was an improvement... I would be it as well. the 200 gram vinyl quote is a red flag to me though.

Jim

mrJim

Reaction score
Cool article

Mickey Desadist (lead singer of the Forgotten Rebels) posted this to his facebook page. I have read most the story lines in the past but I thought this was a good article.

So Alone: Johnny Thunders Story
Courtesy TeamRock.com - The home of rock and metal
So Alone: The Johnny Thunders Story - Feature - Classic Rock

42c24fdb-e51b-44f3-8c3c-0b63b7557dc0

He was the New York Doll-turned-junkie poster boy who had it all – and threw it away. 25 years after his death, the friends, lovers and people who knew him best reveal the man behind the myth.

April 29, 1991. A leaden grey sky hangs oppressively over St. Anastasia’s Roman Catholic Church on 245th St, Queens, as friends and lovers, united in grief, gather to pay their final respects to John Genzale; husband, brother, son and father. Mariann Bracken has lost the prodigal kid brother she’d introduced to the New York City melodramas of the Shangri-Las when he was just a fresh-faced altar boy. Leee Black Childers is inconsolable – the former manager of the deceased fainted when informed of his death – unable to imagine life without the man he was “totally” in love with. Susanne Blomqvist, only now realising the true depth of sacrifice her life partner made when he walked out of the home they shared with their infant daughter for the last time, absently registers the names on the cards of the numerous floral tributes piled on the back of a black El Camino: Deborah Harry, Mötley Crüe, Aerosmith – a stark reminder of Genzale’s other life, the one that always seemed to get in the way of their ephemeral moments of domestic bliss.

As the service draws to a close, St. Anastasia’s: reverberates to the sound of You Can’t Put Your Arms Around A Memory. There’s not a dry eye in the house. Johnny Thunders: a Heartbreaker right to the bitter end.

On arrival at the interment, Jerry Nolan – to all intents and purposes his elder brother, father figure and unrequited other half – is handed a rose, which he gently kisses and places with due ceremony on the coffin lid: a poignant tribute, yet brief. Jerry has been drowning his sorrows with fellow New York Dolls alumnus Sylvain Sylvain, and both, in immediate need of relief, head for a nearby convenience. With nature’s call duly answered, the pair return to the graveside and find it deserted. They made the gig, but missed the encore. The curse of Thunders strikes again.

For the full story follow the link.

The Picture makes me want to go back to my Thunders avatar :bow:

Last edited:

rtbuck

Reaction score
Awesome article Mr. Jim!!! You know, I never stop listening to his stuff & I'm always looking for that style music... found some acoustic player named Dave Kusworth whose been around for a long time (w/ Nikki Sudden in the 80's) Anyway, he has that Thunders/Keith Richards/Ronnie Wood look & plays mostly acoustic(like Thunders Hurt me album). I picked up a double disc called Princess Thousand Beauty & it's mellow but good if you like acoustic Thunders style. He covers Bright Lights Big City, Sympathy for the Devil, & Dead Flowers.

mrJim

Reaction score
Buck...We were traveling (a lot of driving) on vacation and a bunch of Thunders stuff came on the trip. Hurt Me, Que Sera Sera, Copy Cats, So Alone the Heartbreakers LAMF and my wife had totally forgotten about most of them then commenting on how much she started to remember them and actually really missed hearing them as they were really good. Better now than way back when :)

Thanks for the Dave Kusworth I gave it a quick look on youtube and I really want to get something of his and give it a chance. It is very acoustic Thunders-ish, I could definitely hear him doing Joey Joey.

Nice find! definitely giving it a try.

Jim

Last edited:

rtbuck

Reaction score
Man, Mr. Jim... I guess we have a couple of pretty cool wives there ! Deb has grown to like Johnny too although she prefers Walter Lure's singing in the Heartbreakers. It's wild that one of Deb's Co-workers is 35 & a Thunders freak.
It's wild with Thunders because those 4 or 5 albums you brought with you are all friggin' great fantastic
Albums and you could tell by the sound,styles, & songwriting how great he was but you go on YouTube & there's so much stuff where he's barely coherent so people probably wonder sometimes what people see in him...it's kind of sad. He wrote so many good tunes. I still would love to hear Christy Hyde of the Pretenders cover " ...Memory"

mrJim

Reaction score
Yes we are lucky. I picked Sue up today and i have Thunders Eve of Destruction on. She gets in and says this is Johnny thunders right.... The forgotten rebels do this song too!

brings a tear to your eyes doesnt it

Jim

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.