Johnny Thunders (Ex NY Doll)

mrJim

Reaction score
It's been a long time since I picked up a Thunders album I didnt allready have (10 years maybe), but I came accross this one that looked like it was released in 2009.

Now.. I have alot of Thunders stuff but I am pretty carefull about just buying something since there is so much horrible quality live stuff. But this is pretty good.

What caught my eye was the 8 "studio" tracks that were not the usual titles. I remembered seeing Johnny in an interview in Germany just before he passed. He was having his usuall go arround with the interviewer when he seemed to seriously mention being in the studio recording some new stuff that he thought was really good. which made me think it would likely be Blues

thinking of just 2 things an I gave it a shot. And it is really good. I dont think I'd say it equals So Alone, but I thought it was extremely cool. Studio tracks interested me most, Bluesy and genuine good tunes

Sticks and Stones - The Lost Album

Sticks++Stones++The+Lost+Album+ldt5515.jpg

I was long overdue for something from Thunders :cheers2

rtbuck

Reaction score
^^^^^^This was released as a bootleg years ago & I was glad it was rereleased. The quality on the studio tunes are demo quality workings of the tunes so I wish he would've lived a bit longer so the album would have got a proper release with quality, better workings of the tunes, & maybe some guest appearances. These are awesome tunes & should have been produced in the way of So Alone or Que Sera Sera. As far as the live tracks what I had read that happened was it was supposed to be an all-star cast in his band but it fell through so David Johansen & Sylvain Sylvain stepped up to join him near the end. You never know what you are going to get with a live Thunders recording but...you will be entertained.

Worth checking out right now is the rerelease of the classic Thunders acoustic album..."Hurt Me". I ordered mine through Amazon & although I do have the original record & cd the reason I bought this is because it has 2 extra tracks plus a bonus acoustic live cd.

The other thing for all Thunders fans to check out is the rerelease of ex Heartbreaker guitarist Walter Lure's band...The Waldos "Rent Party". This is a total Rock & Roll album & I highly recommend it. It is also on itunes

mrJim

Reaction score
^^^^^^This was released as a bootleg years ago & I was glad it was rereleased. The quality on the studio tunes are demo quality workings of the tunes so I wish he would've lived a bit longer so the album would have got a proper release with quality, better workings of the tunes, & maybe some guest appearances. These are awesome tunes & should have been produced in the way of So Alone or Que Sera Sera. As far as the live tracks what I had read that happened was it was supposed to be an all-star cast in his band but it fell through so David Johansen & Sylvain Sylvain stepped up to join him near the end. You never know what you are going to get with a live Thunders recording but...you will be entertained.

Worth checking out right now is the rerelease of the classic Thunders acoustic album..."Hurt Me". I ordered mine through Amazon & although I do have the original record & cd the reason I bought this is because it has 2 extra tracks plus a bonus acoustic live cd.

The other thing for all Thunders fans to check out is the rerelease of ex Heartbreaker guitarist Walter Lure's band...The Waldos "Rent Party". This is a total Rock & Roll album & I highly recommend it. It is also on itunes

The Hurt Me disk is the Black cover one correct ? I picked that up when I was in buffalo when i passed through town in July. I havent had a chance to give it listen but when I seen the tracks and live album i bought it even though i have the origonal myself.

:bow:

mrJim

Reaction score
I spend time looking through record label websites/catalogs and I came across this. I hadn't heard anything about it. But I thought it was interesting and worth posting up. I came across it on Jungle Records.

Johnny thunders Documentary - Looking for Johnny
It says it will be released in Oct 2014 and it's been screening since May 2014. I checked a couple of the venues and indeed it has been premiering. hey it's Johnny you never can tell.

Chip Baker Films
Looking for Johnny....

I will likely pick it up if I get the chance.

Jim

Fabio

Reaction score
I think he was a poet and a very sensible human being, just like Stiv Bators or Lux Interior. People tha show a tough image but was much more sensible and honest and human of most of us. RIP them all.

rtbuck

Reaction score
I spend time looking through record label websites/catalogs and I came across this. I hadn't heard anything about it. But I thought it was interesting and worth posting up. I came across it on Jungle Records.

Johnny thunders Documentary - Looking for Johnny
It says it will be released in Oct 2014 and it's been screening since May 2014. I checked a couple of the venues and indeed it has been premiering. hey it's Johnny you never can tell.

I will likely pick it up if I get the chance.

Jim

I've been waiting for this! I read somewhere probably around October it will get released. It supposedly is much better than the **** Kowalski movie that never saw an official release but occasionally pops up on Youtube. That film was dark & was more about the druggie Thunders than the musician/songwriter. I only seen it on youtube & did find that film interesting but it was tough to watch more than once. The reviews for the new movie sound good from what I've read

mrJim

Reaction score
Buck, I seen the **** Kowalski movie up on youtube once it was about the druggie Thunders. I think it was going for the shock value of it.

I checked the Waldos facebook page and they have a lot posted about Thunders and the looking for Johnny movie as well.

This is putting me in the mood to but those 2 last Live Thunders albums I don't have.

Jim

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online