Joe Bonamassa (Official Thread)

E-Z

Reaction score
Hey SDM I happened to hear by chance Desert Island Discs a long standing British radio programme which was on Christmas day morning between 8:00-8:45am on BBC radio 4 (London time) and Sir Cliff Richard was taking part and his final favourite record out of eight records that he had chosen was a Joe Bonamassa song but I can't remember the name of the song?.

Last edited:

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Aaaaaaand, yet another live album from Joe:

unnamed.jpg

Blues Rock Superstar Joe Bonamassa set out to perform his brand-new music for fans amidst a global entertainment shutdown. This led to an incredible live concert, his final show of 2020, at the legendary Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee.

This special show includes the critically acclaimed songs from his latest solo studio album "Royal Tea" recorded at Abbey Road Studios in London and inspired by his British guitar heroes Jeff Beck, John Mayall, Eric Clapton and Cream. Joe also performs a few songs from his debut album "A New Day Yesterday" which helped launch his illustrious career to celebrate his 20th anniversary of that album.

Tracklisting:
A1. When One Door Opens
A2. Royal Tea
A3. High Class Girl
B1. Lookout Man!
B2. Why Does It Take So Long To Say Goodbye
B3. A Conversation With Alice
C1. I Didn't Think She Would Do It
C2. Beyond The Silence
C3. Lonely Boy
D1. Cradle Rock
D2. Walk In My Shadow
D3. A New Day Yesterday / Starship Trooper - Wurm

71-HMbqb4sL._AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Off upcoming new album Time Clocks released October 29.

Crop-Joe-Bonamassa-Time-Clocks.jpg

Album Track List

1. Pilgrimage
  2. Notches
  3. The Heart That Never Waits
  4. Time Clocks
  5. Questions And Answers
  6. Mind’s Eye
  7. Curtain Call
  8. The Loyal Kind
  9. Hanging On A Loser
  10. Known Unknowns

E-Z

Reaction score
Hey SDM you maybe interested to know that I went out and bought 6 of Joe's cds after buying and listening to Joe's British Blues Explosion Live double cd yesterday Thursday.

E-Z

Reaction score
That's awersome. Which albums did you buy?
With regards to Joe's cds that I bought I bought the following-

1.British Blues Explosion Live!.
2.Sloe Gin
3.Driving Towards Daylight
4.Live From Nowhere Particular
5.You & Me
6.Black Coffee (with Beth Hart)

Except for British Blues Explosion Live the other albums I bought were mainly because I liked the album covers as I never really heard any of Joe's work but was quite surprised how good he is, he's really a great electric blues/rock guitarist!!.

Also I bought 2 Black Country Communion cds which are-

1.Black Country Communion 2
2.Black Country Communion Live Across Europe

I want to buy the remaining Black Country Communion cds in the first album Black Country Communion plus Afterglow & BCCIV

babuszka

Reaction score
I have been playing the Black Country Communion Live Over Europe album almost non-stop over the last few weeks. They are a bit like Led Zeppelin in that they belt most things out, but Glenn Hughes has light and shade in his vocals and Joe Bonamassa, being a traditional blues-rock guitarist, can ebb and flow. This may be controversial, but I do not think Jason Bonham is uninhibitedly loud like his dad, nor does he rely on monotonous double-kick drums, rather his work is tasteful and keeps everything together. Derek Sherinian plays in a style somewhere between the soloing of Jon Lord and the symphonic support of . . . well, I'm not sure. If I have a complaint and it is very minor, I would like to hear a bit more of Derek Sherinian. I pray that they hold it together for at least one more album, to give him chance to really shine.

Lead vocals are mainly handled by Glenn Hughes, as you would expect, but they are shared with Joe Bonamassa, beyond being a token gesture. Joe sounds a bit like Glenn Hughes, but without the lungs from hell, and they harmonise well together. It's good to hear Glenn not singing with another shouter, and without backing from a full-on shredder. If Glenn had not become less strained with age, I would say this reminds me a bit of Medusa-era Trapeze with Mel Galley. It is a tribute to Joe Bonamassa, that Glenn has worked with some fantastic guitarists, like Mel, Ritchie Blackmore, Pat Thrall, Tony Iommi and others, but has not made a better album.

One of the standout tracks for me, is The Ballad of John Henry from one of Joe's solo albums, and it is refreshing to hear someone with Glenn's back-catalogue not relying on his own past. Nevertheless, I would not object to hearing them cover Coast to Coast, Sail Away, Soul Mover or Bonham Snr's Rock 'n' Roll.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online