Jethro Tull (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Jethro Tull

That looks like a great little gadget Rocker440, thanks.:D

Okay back to Jethro Tull, following "Warchild", came another album that marked a return to the hard rocking roots of the band. The album I am talking about is "Minstrel In The Gallery" released in 1975. Funny story about this record, I bought it from our local music store for $5.99, but it had a massive scratch, so I played it a couple of times just to get a feel for it. Then returned it to get another copy but the store didn't have any in stock, so I picked up "Songs From The Wood" instead which had just come out. Talk about serendipity, and it took me a few years before I did buy Minstrel again, when I played it the first couple of times, I have to say I didn't really enjoy it, but I was only 16 years old and my patience for "Growers" was not fully developed yet. Since then I have grown to really like this one, and I consider it an essential of his 70's catalog.(Of course my bias is showing seeing I have almost everything Tull has ever released...officially anyway.:D)

Here's one of the best known songs off the album, Valhalla.

JethroTull-MinstrelInTheGallery-Fro.jpg

JethroTull-MinstrelInTheGallery-Bac.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I love the name of one of the parts contained in Baker Street Muse..."Pig Me And The Whore"...who else but Tull could get away with a song like that.:grinthumb

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

^^^ Excellent Ian Anderson has a great sense of humour, he had everyone laughing last week talking about a Jethro Tull ambulance in Mumbai. They presented it as a gift but Ian insists the reason is because when you are as old as himself and Martin Barre it's handy to have a Tull ambulance in such places.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^That sounds just like Ian...he is one of the most comfortable performers I have seen, completely natural and a Wicked sense of humor too.:D

Fug

Reaction score

Some record company exec (no doubt) decided they had to keep the 2-LP set to a single CD. Really p*ssed me off.

The reissue of Tull's material would need to go though Anderson. He owns the entire Jethro Tull catalog. Any changes would indeed require his permission. Anderson looks after ALL the remastering, personally.

Fug

Reaction score

This is a fine Tull album. The MITG tour was one of their best, IMO.

The track, "One White Duck/0=Nothing at All" is Anderson at his acoustic guitar playing best.

Fug

Reaction score

After the success of "Brick..." Jethro Tull followed it up with another sprawling concept album, 1973's A Passion Play. This album was not nearly as well received as it's predecessor by the critics, but I like it. The music makes up for the murky storyline for me, Tull in their prime. I do still smile when I hear one song in particular.:D

The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles.

APP is without question the best Tull show I ever had the privilege to attend. I saw 5 shows during this tour. They opened the show with APP, and played almost all of it, without stopping. Then continued on with most of TAAB. If that wasn't enough, they also played most of Aqualung! This, my friends, was the magnificent, JETHRO TULL. There will never be another like them.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online