Jethro Tull (Official Thread)

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Re: Jethro Tull

The reissue of Tull's material would need to go though Anderson. He owns the entire Jethro Tull catalog. Any changes would indeed require his permission. Anderson looks after ALL the remastering, personally.

My complaint, Fug, was with the first CD issue of Living in the Past, done in 1987. I don't know if Anderson was in control at that time or not, but if he was, I have a hard time imagining his wanting to do this. He seems such a stickler for quality in assembling all of the recent reissues that I can't believe he'd have anything to do with a botch job like that.

Fug

Reaction score

My complaint, Fug, was with the first CD issue of Living in the Past, done in 1987. I don't know if Anderson was in control at that time or not, but if he was, I have a hard time imagining his wanting to do this. He seems such a stickler for quality in assembling all of the recent reissues that I can't believe he'd have anything to do with a botch job like that.

To what "botch job" are you referring?

When LITP was released in 1972 on vinyl, there were at least four, maybe five, different pressings of this album. Each one contained a different track list. Some albums contained 20 tracks, some 22 and some 19. The US and UK releases contained 19. Tull's label, Chrysalis Records, was owned by Terry Ellis and Chris Wright. After buying out Terry Ellis in the mid 1980's, Chris Wright reissued LITP without the gatefold photos, the American reissue didn't include, Locomotive Breath. When Anderson acquired all the rights to Tull's material, the remastered CD was issued and contained, Locomotive Breath.

However, I may have missed something. I left WEA Records in 1988. Chrysalis Records was sold to EMI in the early 90's.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

Perhaps "botch job" was too strong a term. What I was referring to was what I believe was the initial US CD release (Chrysalis VK 41035 DIDX 1437) which was truncated for time. It had fewer tracks than the US LP I owned (Chrysalis 2CH 1035 (2TS 2106)). That LP has 21 tracks. The CD has 20, having left off 2 of the LP's tracks and substituting one different one. And of course that CD had none of the packaging the LP had. And the CD renamed one of the songs as well, though I can't say whether it or the LP was wrong.

I have no other copies, domestic or import, so I can't say what was or wasn't included in any of them besides these. All I can say for sure is that first US CD release was not the same as the US LP I have, and I was disappointed greatly because of it. And seeing the obvious care that Anderson has put into the recent remasters, I have a hard time believing he was involved in that initial CD transfer.

Oh, and neither of the versions I have contain "Locomotive Breath."

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

That album has to be one of the most enigmatic any band released. It's not even all new material, and as you both pointed out numerous different pressings were made and distributed over the years. I only have my CD copy with 19 tracks and no Locomotive Breath either Craig.

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning

The best audio version is probably the MFSL edition.
LivingInThePast_MobileFidelity.jpg
Jethro Tull - Living In The Past - Mobile Fidelity Gold CD
Disc 1:
1 Song For Jeffrey 3:20
2 Love Story 3:02
3 Christmas Song 3:05
4 Living In The Past 3:20
5 Driving Song 2:39
6 Bourée 3:43
7 Sweet Dream 4:02
8 Singing All Day 3:03
9 Teacher 4:08
10 Witch's Promise 3:49
11 Inside 3:45
12 Alive And Well And Living In 2:45
13 Just Trying To Be 1:36

Disc 2:
1 By Kind Permission Of (live) 10:11
2 Dharma For One (live) 9:58
3 Wond'ring Again 4:12
4 Hymn 43 3:17
5 Locomotive Breath 4:24
6 Life Is A Long Song 3:18
7 Up The 'Pool 3:10
8 Dr. Bogenbroom 2:59
9 For Later 2:06
10 Nursie 1:36

My USA single disc copy omits Bouree,Teacher & Alive and well . . ., and Locomotive Breath.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I always liked MFSL, even when they tampered and boosted the mid-range on their remastering process at times.

That CD has 4 more songs than mine Jeffrey....I might have to add that one to my list.:think:

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score

I always liked MFSL, even when they tampered and boosted the mid-range on their remastering process at times.

That CD has 4 more songs than mine Jeffrey....I might have to add that one to my list.:think:
You'll find it expensive. It's on ebay sometimes but I'm sure there's a cheaper alternative. I'll trawl the web and find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I will look at my "Black Ops" sources if necessary Jeffrey...great cartoon by the way.:grinthumb

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score

Interesting facts #67

The original UK vinyl verson has 21 tracks.

1. Song For Jeffrey
2. Love Story
3. Christmas Song
4. Living In The Past
5. Driving Song
6. Bouree
7. Sweet Dream
8. Singing All Day
9. Witches Promise
10. Teacher
11. Inside
12. Just Trying to Be