Italian Prog

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
I'll start with the big three
PFM(Premiata Ferneria Marconi(aka PFM-Don't let the name scare you its translated as Marconi's Famous Bakery which was the local bakery. :tongue:
Nearfest Booklet 09

"The Seeds of the legendary Italian progressive rockgroup PFM were sown when in the late 1960's 4 members of an Italian Beat-era pop group called I Quelli decided to pursue a progessive, artistic rock approach, inspired by the first King Crimson Album. They added a violin player and in 1970 they were signed and changed their name to PFM. The young PFM honed its material playing live, opening for Procol Harum, Deep Purple and Yes on their italian tour dates. In 1971 they recorded their first and second albums "Storia Di Un Minuto" "Per Un Amico". These two albums, with their memorable melodies, a lush Mediterranean feel, warm analog keyboards and mellotron, and phenomenal solo and ensemble playing, are considered by many to be absolutely essential and two of the best prog albums of all-time."

Real early PFM: Premiata Ferneria Marconi la carrozza di hans

"In December of 1972, Greg Lake attended a PFM concert and sought to sign them to ELP's Manticore label. PFM travelled to London to investigate the possibility and met King Crimson lyricist Pete Sinfield in the process. The following month the band moved to London where they recorded their first int'l album " Photos of Ghosts" using some pieces from their first two albums reworked with Sinfield's English lyrics."

Celebration (english version of E'festa from their first album) was a hit in England and the album made the top 200 Billboard albums in 1973.

This is their big hit if you don't think you know PFM you most likely have heard a version of this song. E'festa(Celebration)

PFM toured Eupore thruout 1973 and in 1974 changed bass players and had a new album "L'Isola Di Niete" . Djivas,new fusion bass player, added to PFM's already prodigious composing ability, contributing the barn-burning instrumental
"La Luna Nuova"
here is the modern version of the band doing it

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am looking forward to more education on the Italian Prog bands, AK. I know nothing about these bands except they are very eclectic in the music styling. They were never played on any mainstream prog radio stations in the States.

So far I am liking PFM. Which of their albums would you consider essential to own? I will start from there.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
In 75 they toured the USA including a central park concert which was immortalized on :Cook" the bands first live album. Also known at "Live in the USA" in Europe. "Cook peaked at #150 on the Billboard chart and earned strong US sales. PFM performed four consecutive sold out dates at The Whisky Club in LA along with 50 other US concert dates sometimes opening for Santana, The Allman Brothers, Poco and the Beach Boys.

Four Holes in the Ground

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
I am looking forward to more education on the Italian Prog bands, AK. I know nothing about these bands except they are very eclectic in the music styling. They were never played on any mainstream prog radio stations in the States.

So far I am liking PFM. Which of their albums would you consider essential to own? I will start from there.

Which you tube video did you like the most? The first two albums are where to start but if you liked the last two you may want to try this live album or Live in Japan 2002. Beware the later 70's albums in english aren't that great(chocolate Kings ).

This is the cover of their first album
Storia Di Un Minuto
Storia_di_un_Minuto-1a.jpg

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I really enjoyed this video, E'festa(Celebration). the most. I have acquired this album:

PFM-Photos_of_Ghosts.jpg

Will let you know how I like it after I have given it a good listen :)

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
^AWESOME I just realized I didn't burn it onto my computer so hadn't been listening to it. Not that I don't have plenty of PFM.

After this exhaustine touring PFM returned to Italy for several month, and recruited vocalist Acqua Fragile. to inhance the english language(he went to college in Texas). They released "Chocolate Kings" entirely in English. While some of the Italian fan base was some what disillusioned, the album was extremely well received in England. After another world tour a short break where the violinist left the band. PFM turned toward a fusion sound mostly due to influences from Jaco, Bill Cobham Frank Zappa and Lenny White.

PFM then added a new Violinist Greg Bloch (Marl Almond Band) which cemented this shift. This lineup produced the highly regarded album "Jet Lag". Emerged was PFM's signature progressive rock sound seamlessly with their new found fusion tendences.

Chocolate Kings(english)

Killer underrated classic rock guitar solo

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
PFM then moved back to Italy and went back to itaian vocals for a few albums before going on haitus in 87. In 1997 PFM came back with a very good album "Ulisse" which has a nice balance of both modern rock edge and a look back to their symphonic prog rock era.

Serendipity and the wonderful "Live in Tokyo2002" with two new tracks collaborated with Peter Hammill(Van Der Graaf Genereator). In 2005 PFM recorded a prog rock opera based on the classic Dracula vampire tale cALLED "Stati Di Immaginazine. An all instrumental affair, "Stati" is awonderfful musical journey into the world of imagination and feelings; the human condition. Adding images to the music by the way of an accompanying DVD. It's regarded as just as good as the their classic two 70's albums.

Stati

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
PFM is still touring today catch them if you can I saw them in 2009 at Nearfest
here are some shots I took:
3668533710_0a498e6756.jpg

3668548904_848485354c.jpg

3667742315_fde11dcaa6.jpg

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
The second band of the big three is Banco del Mutuo Soccorso(The Table of Mutual Support) began in 1969 when 17 year old Vittorio Nocenzi, a classically trained multi-keyboardist from Rome, brought together his brother Gianni on Piano, plus a guitarist, bass player and drummer to record original symphonic prog rock compositions. By 1970 Banco had their own Rome studio named "Stalla". During 1971 Banco lineup took a change when Fransisco Di Giacomo joined the group along with a new guitarist and bass player. In 1972 they released their debut album. It was a defining statement of the burgeoning Italian prog rock scene. The album is extremely polished for a debut, with resonating operatic vocals from DiGiacomo and a striking counterpoint between Virrorio's grinding Hammond organ and Gianni's delicate piano lines.

The single "RIP(Reqiescant In Pace)" is a prog rock masterpiece featuring unforgettable melodies and rhythms. The song is still a Banco concert favorite.

RIP

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online