Is Vinnie Vincent as talented as Jimmy Page?

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is a topic I found on a KISS forum...I thought I'd share this wisdom for a good Friday chuckle...:oyea:
:fapa
------------------------------------------------

Is Vinnie Vincent as talented as Jimmy Page?
I think Vinnie has "Jimmy Page like" talent!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Vinnie was a good songwriter......so ya, he does have talent. I ain't gonna badmouth him :nw:

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score
The guy was a complete and utter nutter, but I can't think of many players who do that ridiculously OTT shred thing quite as well.

Points for Robert Fleischman's helium-laced vocals too, the VVI debut is probably one of the most out and out fun albums ever.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Almost as funny as the Prince to Hendrix comparisons. Well, no nothing is quite as rediculous as that but this is pretty funny.

Vinnie Vincent.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Almost as funny as the Prince to Hendrix comparisons.

Agreed.

Prince is so overrated by his fans....but the rest of knows he isn't anything special.

I'm not big on 80's hair metal, but any of those guitarist are better than Prince.

I've heard him wail on guitar...it was no big deal....lots of people can wail.

Again, Prince isn't anything special. I was never impressed.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Vinnie is (was) an incredible guitar player with a wide range of what he could do. Calling him "as talented" as Jimmy is hard for various reasons.

1) it's an opinion which is always subjective.
2) technically speaking, I'd say Vinnie is much more talented
3) artistically speaking, I'd say Jimmy was much more creative.

however, their overall bodies of work don't compare based on size of known catalog as well as popularity of each one's recorded work. I saw vinnie on stage and I have to say, he was FAR less sloppy than anything I heard from Jimmy on stage (and Yes, I saw Jimmy on stage in the 80's).

But unless you are on a Kiss site (and even there I'd question it)... I don't think you'd ever find a poll like this even close.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Good summary there Lynch. Of course I do like Vinnie, but I also don't think he was as creative as Page.

He did make good albums and have good songs. His skills are top notch as well. His legendary status may have gone on to be a bit bigger, had he lasted longer than one KISS album as a member.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I've never been much of a fan of 'shredder' guitar players. I mean playing fast and making train wreck noises is all fine and well and even works very good in some context. But a good deal of those guys are one trick ponies who seem to have trouble even making simple rythms sound anything other than amaturish.

Flash is fine but a guitar player who relies on this is kind of like a drummer who only does rolls and fills.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Staff online

Members online