Is today's music model a repeat of the 60's?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I happen to enjoy newer bands and artists from all genres. One of my favorite newer bands is a progressive metal band from Belgium, Beyond the Labyrinth. Even this band is using the business formulation of releasing "singles" prior to an album release. The idea behind the release of a single is not only to gain radio/xm air time, but to garnish a fan base.

Bands in the 60's didn't tour as extensively as bands do these days. For a tour to be successful, they need to pack the venues with fans. How do you get fans before you tour?........release singles and pray they are hits. It is not uncommon for bands to release a few singles, then begin a tour, then release the album. Some of these tours last up to 2 years, and they are grueling schedules which can cover 50 - 60 cities a year.

LG is right about bands making more money now than ever in history. One successful world tour can gross a band 50 million dollars. Another thing that is quit different in the millenium is the way bands release albums. They release a string of singles and EP's and only 1 album every 2-3 years.

So I believe music has taken on the model of making a "single" their basis for their business.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Members online

No members online now.