Votes: 20 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I can understand why you and some may feel this way but I personally disagree about it being selfish and cowardly.
I don't want any hard feelings here but how could it be anything else? What are you accomplishing?

I can understand in extreme situations butt for the most part it is a dead giveaway that you lack fortitude. A difficult life is much harder to deal with than 10 minutes of physical suffering so aren't you taking the easy way out when you forfeit any possible tomorrow because you just can't deal with right now?

I mean, what I find disgusting is treating these people like they died of a tragedy they could not control. No. They died because they chose to do that. Making them a victim of anything other than their own selfishness and cowardice doesn't help anyone.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't want any hard feelings here but how could it be anything else? What are you accomplishing?

I can understand in extreme situations butt for the most part it is a dead giveaway that you lack fortitude. A difficult life is much harder to deal with than 10 minutes of physical suffering so aren't you taking the easy way out when you forfeit any possible tomorrow because you just can't deal with right now?

I mean, what I find disgusting is treating these people like they died of a tragedy they could not control. No. They died because they chose to do that. Making them a victim of anything other than their own selfishness and cowardice doesn't help anyone.
I think in some victims cases they feel they are accomplishing removing their pain, or sense of burden. Sure it could be seen as selfish but if the person is in very deep depression or some sort of serious mental illness I don't personally believe its as simple as that. I think some do use the term suicide and depression very loosely to get attention and that itself ****** me off too but often the ones who do it I don't believe have selfish intentions in terms of hurting the ones that care about them but they genuinely feel there isn't any other way. As someone who has a couple of times felt near that edge I can relate to the fact depression can be that debilitating. I think in some cases they couldn't control it. I guess it does depend on the actual reason for a person committing suicide but I don't believe all cases are based on cowardly reasons. I believe some feel that is their only option, when one feels isolated and so far alone that's all that can come to mind.

Khor1255

Reaction score
That is where we probably differ. I strongly believe you can always control that. I mean, there is an actual built in instinct that screams at you not to do it likely all the way up until you've reached he point of no return.

After that, it's just Satan having a good laugh at your (and humanities) expense.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is where we probably differ. I strongly believe you can always control that. I mean, there is an actual built in instinct that screams at you not to do it likely all the way up until you've reached he point of no return.

After that, it's just Satan having a good laugh at your (and humanities) expense.

Guess it depends on how its looked at. Can like I said understand exactly where you're coming from given some cases were probably ones that could fall under the selfish or melodramatic category but if someone had very deep depression and felt like the burden was too great and to end their life is the only way out (whether its actually the only way out or not) then its where we differ. Ideally everyone should have the mental fortitude to be able to overcome things but sadly not everyone does or can work through it. Its a touchy subject for me because I've lost family members to suicide before but it was something I didn't mind having a discussion about.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Wait, so is this:

what you are talking about when you accuse Simmons of being an ass?

Something he said weeks before Williams bowed out?

Exactly! Like I said, people that hate on Gene and/or the band are going to hate on Gene or the band. Fuk'em! In short, haters gonna hate. :rolleyes:

Khor1255

Reaction score
I can separate my respect for the artist from the respect (or lack of) for what he says. Simmons says some real doozies but I just don't see it here.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I still couldn't stand what Gene said but Rollins took the cake for bigger asshat. Gene I can kind of understand what he was trying to get at but Rollins was being a flatout douche. And Gene whilst he has his dick moments, I have to admit like I said awhile ago I respect his ability to take a joke when he was being roasted on Comedy Central. He copped some doozies and laughed them off. Even for people I ain't a fan of I can respect more for taking a joke like that.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Gene Simmons opened the door a long time ago to the media. Anyone who allows a media crew into their home is suspect in my opinion.
He makes money on his statements, whether they are valid or not. ANY publicity, negative or positive, is in his favor.
Because of this, I give no credence to his statements.

Just for the record, I don't think he is a d**k, not anymore than any of the other chumps who do the same thing.

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score

While I agree with what you say, I also know that clinical depression, such as the kind Robin Williams had, changes the way the brain operates. It is an actual disease. Just like a person can get cancer of the brain, depression is a disease that saps a person's hope and changes his perceptions. Of course there is no where in the Bible that says when you take your own life that you go to hell. There is only one reason you go to hell.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
It is an actual disease.
Depression is a mindset or a mood. It has been given the label of "disease" by people and corporations that stand to benefit from it being labeled as such and the slobbering sheep in society eat that up like it's gospel. "well I read it's a disease, so it must be". Meh.

People don't die from depression. People die of a LOT of things, but being depressed isn't one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online