Internet is changing forever....soon.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Please Shadow, that is patently partisan on your part. Your beloved ex-leader is the one who's administration wrote the policy that is pending, and put pressure on all other countries to comply with their legislation. And besides all that I think it was a university in Illinois that invented the internet, as a way to more efficiently move information around.;)

OptimisticFutureBlues

Pschonautic Outlaw
Reaction score
In Coeur D' Alene, Idaho, USA. There are two laws I have a particular problem with. It is (No lie) illegal to carry Ice cream in your back pocket on a Sunday. It is also illegal to fish off the back of a giraffe in Lake Coeur d' Alene.

Law & Order :lmao:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I don't see too many politicians in DC that are going to be willing to put their name on something like this, unless of course, if they are paid to do so (not that THAT could/would ever happen) or if they truly don't think before they act.

"Illegal downloading" and sharing on the internet has been going on since the mid to late 90's. When do you think the ****ing record companies are going to pull their collective heads out of their collective asses and figure out a SMART way to deal with this?! I'd say it'll take another 5+ years before they do. They were SO used to raking in insane amounts of money on record sales. They can't get that kind of money with digital sales, even though the overhead is lower, they still look at figures from X-number of years ago and say "we aren't grossing as much". I seriously doubt the actual profit is as grand as the gross difference and THAT is the number they like to push.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You are right that is how I feel too Lynch, the labels are trying to hang on to the glorious golden era of the "Al Capone" music business model. Not once have they ever complained about all the Resales during format changes when they make more and more revenue from the same albums recorded decades ago, while still splitting the money about 80-20 in their favor with the artists.:mad

On another note, Bill C-32(I think it's called) is now tabled again in our parliament it is basically a mirror image of the one pending in the US right now. I would bet Magic's chicken coop we pass it into law before our neighbours do, even though it is a Bush/Cheney piece of legislation with a few modifications added by our own idiots.:bonk:

joe

Reaction score
LG, I couldn't agree more with your observations. I think it looks good on the record companies on thier hands and knees begging for mercy after ripping off not only the artists, but also consumers.

Like what Lynch said, you would think they would try and work with the changes of technology but greed tends to be blinding and also looks ridiculous.

I don't think it's going pass in either country. Mr. Harper, being the control freak that he is, isn't going to be able to intimidate enough MP's to move it up to the Senate for the final vote.

The economic situation in the US as of right now and with other immediate state of affairs, I think the bill is way back on the agenda of Congress.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
We will have to wait and see how it all plays out, but I do not trust any of them anymore. Finally after decades of shipping millions of jobs to China the US electorate realizes they have been betrayed by their own business class, for profiting on the slave labor market China has available that we cannot touch as far as labor costs go. Add into that the fact that not One of the G-7 nations ever tried to use serious leverage to force the Chinese to play fair on the currency issue, which is totally against all the rules we have in place for doing business. End result we have made an economic superpower in record time that has destroyed our own economic base in many areas, all for the benefit of a few millionaires and billionaires.:nw:

Anyway back to the subject at hand until China and other counterfeiting nations are brought under some kind of control the downloading the rest of the world does is trivial, and everyone involved knows that. Try and intimidate the serfs while the Dragon runs amok doing whatever it wants with no threat of reprisals.

joe

Reaction score
LG, sadly I don't think that's going to happen. The Chinese are more powerful than the US on the economic front as they hold billions in US treasury bills. China has the upper hand not only on the US, but I believe on all countries.

It must of been about seven years ago I came to the conclusion that we're seeing the fall of the American empire, and with that we, Canada will suffer tremendously as well. These multi-national corporations are no longer "local community" being maximize profits thier narrow sightedness.

Since I've come to that conclusion, I've seen and seeing all the components falling into place. A slow ongoing death.

The U.S.S.R. didn't fall overnight as some people have come to believe but a very long and slow descent.

The Americans better get thier azz in gear and stop thier pathetic bi-partisan politics and take some action or else.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I feel the same way Joe, and saw it coming when Clinton was president even. You cannot have this kind of imbalance indefinitely. Between them Japan and China can devalue the US dollar overnight, that is the result of the Bush presidency more than anything else, his policies were a complete disaster and put them in this position.

Okay that is bordering on Magic's pet peeve so back to the DL'd and Internet, China keeps everything under control that might upset their internal politics, otherwise they turn a blind eye to file sharing and counterfeiting, and as I said it saddens me to think the Corporations are using all their resources to stop the minnows when the Big fish are loose in the pond doing whatever they want.

There is a coalition in the US forming to slow down this bill, we will have to wait and see what shakes out. Chances are good we will have an election here before anything is passed and enforced.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online