Interest in music

queenkrule

Reaction score
Yes, I can completely relate to this. Nobody I know is as interested in music as I am around here. During my senior year in high school I got a 'Classic Rock Enthusiast' certificate from my teachers and this cute little toy guitar. Most of my family and friends only listen to Top 40 music and they all pretty much think I'm pretentious because I'd never settle for just Top 40 music. Everybody in school referred to me as 'that music chick' which really upset me. I don't understand why so many are just not as passionate about music. Literally the only person I was able to talk to about music was my 9th grade English teacher and he's left the country so that's depressing.
Anyways, i just think it's bizarre how so many people (where I live, at least) just don't seem to care as much about music.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Yes, I can completely relate to this. Nobody I know is as interested in music as I am around here. During my senior year in high school I got a 'Classic Rock Enthusiast' certificate from my teachers and this cute little toy guitar. Most of my family and friends only listen to Top 40 music and they all pretty much think I'm pretentious because I'd never settle for just Top 40 music. Everybody in school referred to me as 'that music chick' which really upset me. I don't understand why so many are just not as passionate about music. Literally the only person I was able to talk to about music was my 9th grade English teacher and he's left the country so that's depressing.
Anyways, i just think it's bizarre how so many people (where I live, at least) just don't seem to care as much about music.

I know, right? It seems especially prevalent in Asia! I'm originally from India.

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
I know, right? It seems especially prevalent in Asia! I'm originally from India.

Does it just not get played where you are? What I mean is it not played on the radio, and is it hard to find Classic Rock in stores?

queenkrule

Reaction score
Does it just not get played where you are? What I mean is it not played on the radio, and is it hard to find Classic Rock in stores?

Well, where I'm from, it doesn't get played on the radio and we don't have any classic rock stations. It's really hard to find in stores, I mean, Virgin Megastore's the only place you can find them and they've only got the Beatles CD's and like, the REALLY popular bands but those are also quite limited so I mostly just use iTunes or Amazon. We also don't have any record stores so that's pretty frustrating. No wonder there aren't many music fans around here haha.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
As for India, plenty of classic (rock) albums have always been freely available in stores all alphabetically arranged just like CD stores in the west. But the thing is, the rock music connoisseurs are always in the minority. It just seems like most people around you are casual listeners of either some Bollywood film music or Indian classical music or something like that, rather than Western music. And most people are casual listeners for whom music just fills up the background while doing chores. They don't focus on the lyrics or the music itself too much, let alone buy it!

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
queenkrule, possibly, troubles with music in Qatar associated with traditional muslim lifestyle of this country. No rock on a radio, rock in underground in general - it's a common problem for muslim or ex-Communist countries. For example, in Russia, rock music - it's a "non-format", seriously. Until now. Despite the fact, that USSR disappeared almost 25 years ago.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
I'm a 60's baby so I was dancing to the Beatles in my crib.
My family was into music all thru the 60's and 70's.
We shared many of the same records. However by the mid 70's we all went in different directions. Mom with life and a Hindu lifestyle. My older brother became a punk hanging out with Basquiat and going to CBGB's. My middle brother went to college upstate and got into folk music. I went the way of progressive rock, jazz and classical. It made for interesting holidays although it was usually a fall back to late 60's and early 70's rock.
By the early 80's I realized music was getting extremely diverse. After that I've heard people even today talk about bands in the 80's and 90's that were big but I've always felt their are more people listening to rock music so a sub genre band could look to be big. However, rock and all music has gotten more diverse and pop music turned into more show then substance. Media and lifestyles have turned music into the multi media it is today. Music has to go along with a movie, a live show or incorporated into tv shows for people to care.

There still is a big group of people who don't treat it that way but its so broken up that the common bond is lost. Today I still am searching for new music and because I know people in the industry I know people who are too. However, so many people I meet today it doesn't mean sh*t.

Reaction score
I can relate to a lot of these comments as this topic has always been very close to my heart and my reason for joining this forum a few days ago.

I have always found it difficult to express just how much Rock and Roll means to me and have felt so frustrated that I can't seem to find many people who feel the same way. I love my music so much it's almost become an addiction. I listen to it from the moment I wake up in the morning and feel the need to discuss my favourite bands constantly. I have felt like this for as long as I can remember.

I have made Rock and Roll such a big part of my life but does that really mean I love music more than other people or those who just listen to what's on TV or the radio? Not necessarily. I think true music fans must still be out there but maybe unlike me they don't feel the most overwhelming need to make this evident to everyone they come into contact with in the hope that they will feel the same. I sometimes wish I was more like normal people and didn't get so emotional about my passion. In a strange way it's not always a pleasant feeling for me and can be frustrating. I love music so much it hurts :(

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
I can relate to a lot of these comments as this topic has always been very close to my heart and my reason for joining this forum a few days ago.

I have always found it difficult to express just how much Rock and Roll means to me and have felt so frustrated that I can't seem to find many people who feel the same way. I love my music so much it's almost become an addiction. I listen to it from the moment I wake up in the morning and feel the need to discuss my favourite bands constantly. I have felt like this for as long as I can remember.

I have made Rock and Roll such a big part of my life but does that really mean I love music more than other people or those who just listen to what's on TV or the radio? Not necessarily. I think true music fans must still be out there but maybe unlike me they don't feel the most overwhelming need to make this evident to everyone they come into contact with in the hope that they will feel the same. I sometimes wish I was more like normal people and didn't get so emotional about my passion. In a strange way it's not always a pleasant feeling for me and can be frustrating. I love music so much it hurts :(

I know how you feel. I have very little in common with my friends when it comes to music. So it's kind of hard to have a serious discussion about it.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
My interest in music started with my Mom when I was a toddler, we grew up in an atmosphere of her favorite artists. Dad finally bought us a decent stereo when we were teenagers and the die was cast.

My interest has waxed and waned over the decades but I've always come back to it as an important part of my routine. Right now it's been collecting vinyl again, my last go round before I retire from the field.

Forums like CRF have helped keep the fire burning, where you can meet and chat with people who share a common interest, one of the best things about the internet.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online