Interest in music

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
As for India, plenty of classic (rock) albums have always been freely available in stores all alphabetically arranged just like CD stores in the west. But the thing is, the rock music connoisseurs are always in the minority. It just seems like most people around you are casual listeners of either some Bollywood film music or Indian classical music or something like that, rather than Western music. And most people are casual listeners for whom music just fills up the background while doing chores. They don't focus on the lyrics or the music itself too much, let alone buy it!

Well, where I'm from, it doesn't get played on the radio and we don't have any classic rock stations. It's really hard to find in stores, I mean, Virgin Megastore's the only place you can find them and they've only got the Beatles CD's and like, the REALLY popular bands but those are also quite limited so I mostly just use iTunes or Amazon. We also don't have any record stores so that's pretty frustrating. No wonder there aren't many music fans around here haha.

Wow! I guess I won't complain anymore when Best Buy as to order a CD or DVD for me. :uh:

analoggal

Woman of the Country
Reaction score
... I sometimes wish I was more like normal people and didn't get so emotional about my passion. In a strange way it's not always a pleasant feeling for me and can be frustrating. I love music so much it hurts :(

LLG, it's normal to be emotional and passionate about rock-n-roll because rock music is passion and emotion.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
This a great topic of discussion.:grinthumb
I grew in a home where for the first few years of my life my father listened to jazz on his reel-to-reel and my mother listened to old rock 'n roll on her turntable. For a while in the late 60's we lived in den Haag in Holland and we used to listen to the pirate radio stations, namely Radio Veronica and one which I think was called Capital Radio. I think my passion for music comes from all these influences.
In the 70's at school, my friends were all big music fans and I recall many a happy evening listening to and sharing music. In those days we didn't have tv yet, which I think helped. Occasionally, friends will get together to hear a new album or so, but generally, no-one seems to have the attention span for more than two or three songs by any artist.
Over the years I have made a few friends while out searching for old lp's and music. While we don't always share similar tastes, we respect each others' passion for the music and that has been a building block for maintaining those friendships.
Unfortunately my wife is a casual music listener, but I have passed on the love for music to both of my kids. I convert most of my music to mp3 format to listen to on the mp3 player (a pretty poor substitute for a good sound system) while I'm working or everyone else is watching tv.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
So many casual listeners everywhere one looks! From my experience at least, serious listeners/collectors like us are few and far between. Makes me occasionally question my own hobby. Am I even gaining anything ultimately out of collecting other people's music? :uh:

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Agreed. Like I said, you've got to respect a serious music lover even though you might not like what they like. Yeah, they are far and few between.
So long as you enjoy your hobby and it makes you feel good, you don't really need more out of it. When it starts to become a drag, it's time to find a new hobby.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online