I hate it when people say "It's just a song"

Cousin Johnny

Call Me The Breeze
Reaction score
Why aren't songs "just songs"?

Hello! I am new to this forum and I wanted to make this first thread by asking a question... Why are songs more than "just songs"?

The other day I had a discussion with my fiancee about this, because I kind of get too obsessed when she tells me that she likes a band that I hate... Stuff like that, I bet it has happened to you.

Don't you think music it's much more than that? When someone tells me the bands they like what I am really trying to find out is if I am going to like them or not...

Have you ever had any experiences like this? Losing interest in someone because your music tastes aren't the same at all? I want to know if it's just me or if you think people shouldn't judge other people for what they listen to, if you think that doesn't have to do with their personality.

Last edited:

Aero

Reaction score
If someone likes music I hate, it's usually strike 1 against them from the start. Especially if it's something stupid like dubstep that takes no musical skill at all to produce. It just makes me think the person is shallow and blindly follows trends and is someone I would not want to know.

And when someone can't appreciate classic rock, I'm like, "What the hell is wrong with you?" How can you not at least recognize this as quality music??

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree.

Music is something we identify with. Music stirs our emotions and becomes who we are. If someone likes music I can't identify with, it is very hard for me get an emotional attachment to that person. I don't want to fight with a significant other over music!

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
I found the opposite to be true. I really don't care if people don't like what I like. I will listen to what I want anyway. I'm married and when I first got married my husband was not a Beatles, ELO, or Clapton fan. He loved the band Chicago and I hated them. But now I love Chicago, and he loves the Beatles, and ELO. I'm still waiting for Clapton to grow on him. :tongue:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I think I've only had one significant other that liked all of the same music that I did. Her and I used to go to a lot of concerts together back in the 80's. She's one that got away.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure that almost every woman I've been with (dated, married or otherwise) has had quite different tastes in music. Always ~some~ musical tastes that were similar, but most of our preferences have always been different .

To me, it's not THAT important. If you are willing to throw away an otherwise good relationship just because someone doesn't have the exact same tastes as you, I think most people would be lucky to NOT be destined to be perpetually single forever.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't mean I would throw away a perfectly good relationship unless he is way out there with some strange, unlistenable music.

I can usually find something I like to hear from just about all genres. But there are a couple genres I REFUSE to listen to........

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear ya. BTW, I wasn't speaking about you or anyone specifically, but just making a general comment.

(for what it's worth, I hate about 3/4 of the stuff my wife likes, but I have plenty of other things to argue with her over than to waste energy arguing about music as well) :heheh:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I knew what you meant, Snoopy. I just didn't want anyone to think I would dislike them because of their music taste....

But I can't promise you I will get attached to you if you like crappy music

:heheh:

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
I didn't mean I would throw away a perfectly good relationship unless he is way out there with some strange, unlistenable music.

I can usually find something I like to hear from just about all genres. But there are a couple genres I REFUSE to listen to........

The only time I think about throwing my husband away over music is when we are in the car together. He keeps changing the station when he drives, so we end up listening to about 1/4 of every song. (Drives me nuts!) When I drive, he is not allowed to touch the radio. :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tnfkdg

Members online

No members online now.