How Weird is "too weird"?

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
over on the black cat bone index board, there was a Tom Waits thread. the basic thrust of the thread seemed to be that some people liked him better as he got weird and some people pretty much stopped liking him.

me, I'm of the opinion that the weirdness is only part of what he does and that I like the variety of human experience in his work.

how about you? anybody you like lose you by getting too weird? did they win you back? on the other hand, did you start liking anybody MORE when they got weird?

or am I just weird?

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Weird is subjective. I like all of Tom Waits stuff. I call it different, not weird. Then again people think I'm weird so perhaps I'm not the best judge of what's weird and what's not. LOL

I like diversity in my artists. Those who stay the same tend to bore me and I move on. Those who change and evolve keep me interested. Tom Waits does that - change and evolve. I may not like all the changes but I respect the need for change and try to keep an open mind.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I don't know... I guess there is some stuff I don't like because it is weird. Nirvana's Incesticide is my least favorite of anything they did. However, I blame that more on the production than on the material, as I do love most of the songs on it.

I can't say I liked Neil Young MORE when he was particularly weird, but albums like Trans and Landing On Water are favorites of mine.

I don't know what is considered weird but when I was getting into Pantera, I originally thought Vulgar Display of Power sucked because it was too normal and mundane compared to the adventurous weirdness of albums like Great Southern Trendkill and Reinventing The Steel. ('Course I eventually saw how genius Vulgar Display was).

Pink Floyd's weird material has always amazed me, but again I can't say it's really my FAVORITE of their stuff.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
checker-tattoo-is-bloody-weird-but-cool.jpg

face_tattoo1.jpg

rick-genest.jpg

27jun15-im-not-weird.jpg

weird-dude.gif

weird-fashion-02.jpg

F

FoxyPage

What other people see as 'weird', I see as creative. It might not seem creative and might just look plain stupid but everyone does things for a reason. To them, it's just different.

I find people who are different to be far more interesting. It shows there is something going on upstairs that is different from your average folk. They have a different view of things for their own reasons and I find it extremely interesting to listen to their own personal thoughts/views and different looks attract my attention.

I wouldn't call anything weird, no matter how different or out there it is. People have creative minds and choose different ways to express themselves. It's art.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I wouldn't call anything weird, no matter how different or out there it is. People have creative minds and choose different ways to express themselves. It's art.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts right there or I could say "For Christs sakes, my second favorite music artist has a picture of a pig sucking on her ****** in her album sleeve! :lmao:

taha

Reaction score
and I thought Zappa was wierd.........................doooood !

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Staff online

Members online