How Many Hours of Music Do You Listen In a Day?

How Many Hours a Day Do You Listen To Music?

• 0-1 hours

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • 1-2 hours

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • 2-4 hours

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • 4-6 hours

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • 6-8 hours

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • 8-10 hours

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • 10+ hours

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters

joe

Reaction score
I do think it is the equipment you play your choice of a musical format that makes the difference. I spent $1000 on my first stereo system 31 years ago that included speakers, reciever and turntable and then upgraded 8 years later to a system that was worth $4000(I didn't pay that much) which included speakers, dual cassette deck, CD player and reciever. The speakers were worth almost $2000 and let me tell ya there was a huge difference in the sound quality.

When it comes to the digtal format files (Mp3, Mp4, flac, etc.), it comes down to the size of the file. For example, I did a comparison of Free's Tons of Sobs which I had on CD(factory reproduced), and two on a digtal format with one of those formats having 2/3 bigger file capacity. I burned both on to a CD. I couldn't hear the difference between the factory CD and the CD with the larger capacity file digital burned CD, though I could hear the difference between the smaller capacity file digital burned CD.

I'm not as fussy as I used to be about sound quality. Maybe now as I'm getting older, contentment seems to be more prevelant. It does however provide peace, serenity, and gratitude which alot of music I listen to accomplishes the same feelings.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
There are some subtle differences when I play a lossy codec file even 320 kbs MP3 on my reference system and a WAV 1411 kbs file Joe. Of course the big system is designed for critical listening and it does the same thing with a good quality vinyl/tape/CD or a poorly mastered/produced one.

I am old fashioned and as long as I have the choice I will take the full version over the compressed lossy one everytime.

Best lossy codec I have ever experimented with, OGG Vorbis 500 kbs, it is the closest to the original of any of the formats I have tinkered with.

joe

Reaction score
^^^I would to LG. Here's a funny story: A good friend of mine 20 years ago told me there was a huge difference in sound quality to that of a CD was better than vinyl. I responded back," from what I hear I would say vinyl has more 'depth' ". "Oh no", he stubbornly replied. Some time later Niel Young basically had said the same thing I was pointing out. My buddy, being a big Niel Young fan now had changed his tune and defiantly told me he said no such thing. By the way, he was never wrong. Ya right.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That is funny.:D

I have examples of vinyl transferred to CD that are spectacular, Ozark Mountain Daredevils debut comes to mind, I cannot tell the difference between the vinyl and the CD I bought.

Edgar Winter's great record They Only Come Out At Night, is far better on vinyl somehow they lost the entire "Depth" of the drum kit on the CD, I have no idea why because that album is easily one of my top ten drum kit recordings on vinyl. The CD pales by comparison.

What truly boggles me are new albums that are still below the standards of decades ago, it's like they don't care because they think all the kids now want a song or two for their i-pod and won't notice the drop off...but I do and just don't get it.:mad

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
On an average day it's one-two hours. I always play music whilst I'm cooking, having a bath, getting ready to go out, doing housework. When I'm working on a design or doing a painting I have music playing, but if I'm reading or writing music distracts me too much. On those creative days the hours I listen to music will add up to probably 6-8 :)

joe

Reaction score
^^That is funny.:D

I have examples of vinyl transferred to CD that are spectacular, Ozark Mountain Daredevils debut comes to mind, I cannot tell the difference between the vinyl and the CD I bought.

Edgar Winter's great record They Only Come Out At Night, is far better on vinyl somehow they lost the entire "Depth" of the drum kit on the CD, I have no idea why because that album is easily one of my top ten drum kit recordings on vinyl. The CD pales by comparison.

What truly boggles me are new albums that are still below the standards of decades ago, it's like they don't care because they think all the kids now want a song or two for their i-pod and won't notice the drop off...but I do and just don't get it.:mad

I haven't heard any new vinyl from the last 10 years or so, but I take your word on that. I'm not surprised the record labels are gouging the new generation as they have been doing that for decades, not only the consumer, but also a lot of artists.

Back in the heyday of vinyl I know that there was two different grades(quality) of vinyl. For example, here in Western Canada there was a large company named A&B Sound(you might know of them) that sold records quite a bit of cheaper than other retail outlets. No question part of the lower price was the volume, but also the lower quality of the vinyl.

One particular record stands out for me and that was BOC's Spectres. I recall I paid $4.99 for the album at A&B Sound and when I got home I put it on the turntable and it skipped in certain places. I returned it three times with the same results. Being pissed off I went down the street to Kelly's Stereo Mart(you might remember them as well) and purchased the album for $7.99. No problems what so ever. What was so evident was the comparison between the "thickness" of the vinyl. The cheaper copy was so flimsy and the jacket was also not very well constructed as to the other.

I'm not sure if CD's do have different grades as well. My thinking is probably that is the case. The RIAA, IMO has been nothing but greedy and I have no pity for them losing profits to technology. That being said, it is the artists that also get hurt finicially.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I am familiar with both Kelley's and A&B Sound Joe. I bought most of my vinyl from Kelley's over the years, A&B didn't have a store here until CD's had taken over so I can't really comment on the differences in quality. That does surprise me though, why on earth a company would Want to do that and then the label themselves actually pressing inferior quality copies as well.:wtf:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I remember getting Canadian and German copies of vinyl & tapes in mark down bins and just shaking my head about the lousy sound quality for just the reason Joe has stated above. After a couple of purchases of that type I made sure to read the packaging labels and make sure my albums and tapes were all pressed in the US .

I don't listen to files for that same reason. No matter how big a file it is .
Even a wave file does not sound as good as my vinyl or a high quality retail CD
blasting out of one my systems.

Just me and my preference I guess but I'll be sticking to that.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
CD's are encoded at 1411 kbs DKW, they are WAV files just burned to a disc. I have experimented with all this stuff and WAV's are okay. I can play my Sansa and they sound as good as a CD does to me. I don't play music on my PC at all.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sundaytakako

Members online

No members online now.