How did you discover ... ?

rocknrollpestcontroll

Jammin On The Drums
Reaction score
So I thought i'd make a thread where we can share our stories on how we discovered our favriot bands and other bands we listen to.
RUSH is my favriot band, it's kind of weird how I discovered them.
For years I knew the name "Rush" but somehow I thought they did the song "Oh What A Feeling, what a RUSH" and i hate that song so i never looked into them untill i heard "New World Man" on the the radio i really liked it so i looked it up and found it was by Rush. I was surprized. Looking into them more i found songs i instantly recondnized "Closer To The Heart" "Tom Sawyer" "Subdivisions" "The spirit Of radio"
Most of wich I had heard before and thought they were by a female singer like "Heart":oyea: weird way to discover them but yeah... thats how I discovered my favriot band.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I guess I'll start with Rush as well. My brother did one of those Columbia House 11 8tracks for a penny deal (to get you on the hook for a regular subscription). He bought All the World's A Stage on a whim and they (my older brothers and their friends) liked it right away.
I liked the music quite a bit but didn't care for the vocals for the longest time. This kept me from really getting into them for a while. I remember us debating who was the better guitar player out of Iommi and Lifeson and who was the better drummer between Peart and Ward (Sabbath being considered the benchmark against which all other artists were measured).

I liked the music quite a bit but it wasn't until about a whole year later when I heard them previewing Hemispheres on a late night radio program and I fell asleep hearing The Trees and La Villa Strangiato that I became a life long fan. Now Geddy is one of my favorite singers. I live the power of his early wailing and even some of the emotion of his later stuff.

Aero

Reaction score
Well, APP is my favorite band but I discovered them just by hearing them on the radio...which is a boring story.

More interesting is how I discovered one of my other favorite bands, Mark-Almond, a 70s Jazz fusion band from England. I was using, ummm...something like iTunes and did a search for Marc Almond, the singer of Soft Cell to buy some solo songs of his. Instead, I ended up downloading something from Mark-Almond by mistake.

After listening to the song, I was amazed at this band I had never heard about and I slowly went through their catalogue buying what I could, even though some of it is hard to find now and in moratorium. They are a well-kept secret, which is a shame because their music is so good. But I have Marc Almond to thank for finding them.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I actually don't recall any initial watershed moments, as far as my youth is concerned.

I have cousins 3-4 years older than me, so I guess I just kind of absorbed it.

They laid a solid foundation of Zep, Aero, Skynyrd, Queen, Wings, Uncle Ted, Floyd, and so on.

I discovered KISS like everyone else. Alive!

Thin Lizzy, I knew the hits, but nothing more. Then I saw them at the 1983 Monsters Of Rock show in Germany.

The other acts in the lineup were Whitesnake, Motorhead, Meatloaf, BOC, Twisted Sister, and I think Saxon.

Lizzy blew them all away. Phil had them in the palm of his hand from the first power chord of Jaibreak.

Avril I discover from kids. The harmonies, man, the harmonies.

Shinedown? Found those cats right here.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A friend of mine had KISS "The Originals" album and we used to listen to it in the basement while playing pool.

cover_originals.jpg

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Well, with KISS being my favorite band, I guess that I'll have to start with that one.

I first discovered KISS when I found Dressed to Kill on vinyl at the local library that was only about a block from our house. I checked it out, brought it home and played it... and played it... and played it ... and played it. I checked that album out over and over and over again. From there it evolved to checking out the Hotter Than Hell album and of course Alive! after that. I was already hooked after Dressed to Kill, but the other two albums sealed the deal. I've been a KISS fan since then and will be until the day that I die!

220px-Dressed_to_Kill_%28album%29_cover.jpg + 220px-Cover_hth_large.jpg + 220px-Kiss_alive_album_cover.jpg

Dressed to Kill was the first KISS album that I ever purchased, Alive was the second.

Khor1255

Reaction score
My brother played Hotter Than Hell in the basement of our house and I immediately loved it. I think I saw the album cover and was intrigued by that but I was already very much into Sabbath, Edgar Winter and Alice Cooper so the sound I heard from Kiss was right up my alley.
They were the first band I was really fanatical about. A few of us in the neighborhood dressed for Halloween as various members of Kiss (I think I was Peter Criss first, then Ace) and in the 5th grade we were allowed to dress up as Kiss and pantomime a live act as part of the talent show (in those days hard rock was rare to hear in an elementary school and we got a standing ovation).

I always and to this day love Kiss primarily because of the gritty style of rock on their early albums. Perhaps that's why I could never fall in line with their later more polished sound.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
My favorite band is The Beatles. My dad started me on them when I was 3 or 4. He was friends with the man who started Muntz stereo here in L.A. My dad brought home all The Beatles' albums on 4 track tape. We had a prototype for one of the first 4 track/8 track tape players. I played those tapes over and over again. I also watched their cartoon series on T.V. I've loved them ever since. I enjoy lots of other bands but, for me, The Beatles will always be head and shoulders above the rest.

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
My favourite band is the Beatles also. I had heard their music and had seen stories about them on television, but it did not have much of an affect on me. One night my parents went out and left me home with my sister who is five years older than me. She was in her room on the phone, so I was flipping through the channels and this movie called "A Hard Day's Night" came on. I fell in love with their wit and charm and never looked back.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
For me it's Pink Floyd. I had been aware of some of their stuff in the Barrett era, though I was probably too young to really appreciate it. Then I lost touch with what they were doing. Around '73/'74 I used to visit a local pub regularly and I kept hearing a track on the juke box with a sensational guitar solo. When I checked it out it was 'Time'. The 'B' side was 'Us and Them', which was also being played a lot. This single was, of course never released, but at that time the pubs and bars were able to get them for the juke boxes for promotional purposes. It worked a treat on me - I bought DSOTM, followed by the back catalogue, and everything else they've released since.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online