Home recording and project studios

SlickDick

Reaction score
The recording of music has changed drastically over the past few years thanks to the advent of modern recording software, "sequencers" complete w/ full digital mixers built in. So w/ an investment into some inexpensive equipment such as microphones, audio interfaces, preamps, you can sound like Electric Ladyland Studios right in your own room.
I am a firm believer that you do not have to spend bazillions of loonz to have a nice sound but if you got nothing else to do, than spend to your hearts content.
So I know a lot of you out there are into or would like to get into home recording so lets talk about what's what and help other musicians or hobbyists alike w/ a discussion thread all our own.... see you around.:cheers:

Muzoid

Reaction score
Oh, I'm gonna be on this thread like a dirty shirt - hahaha

My studio has produced exceptional sounding stuff....using my laptop/ or PC...a Line6 Toneport UX2 (I paid $189, they are even cheaper now).

My main studio mic is a Behringer C3 ($89) totally awesome mic, I plan on getting one more.

Here's a recording I did (instrumental).

Piano/Keyboards (Korg SP-200) myself
Bass (Modded Aria Pro II) myself
Flute (real, played by a 13 year old)
Drums (inserted wave files) myself

Software: Cakewalk Sonar 5 Producers Series and Sony Soundforge 8.

And this is only the rough mix!!!

http://www.murphynorth.ca/rob/Gone-To-America.mp3

SlickDick

Reaction score
Muzoid, fuckity ****, that was nice you played all the instruments yourself?
Now thats what I call a musician.Anyways, that is a self penned tune? I would gather that you would be at home doing production work or scores for films.
I don't know how to put my stuff on here yet, I am still trying to understand the frickin' telephone and how it works let alone the internet, but I will then you can have a good laugh.
I have right now the Acid Studio 7 from Sony it was given to me as a gift and I never look a gift horse in the ass.
I would encourage everyone to send in photos of their studios as well as their latest projects for review and discussion.So Muzoid, tell me how you set up for this project, like what and how long did take to complete it?

Last edited:

Muzoid

Reaction score
Funny you should mention that...Gone To America is actually a theme song for an upcomming Movie of the same title.

Here's the cover of the original book....for the actual movie soundtrack, it will be re-recorded using only instruments that existed at the time, flute, real piano, double bass, and percussion.

gta-cover1.jpg

SlickDick

Reaction score
Ry Cooder did something like that for the film THE LONG RIDERS using period instuments and style to give it some sence of atmosphere and timely feeling the 1870's and such, so describe your studio, is it square or rectangular? Where do you position your mics and what early problems did you experience when you set up? I had a problem w/ humming and found out it was the damn lights so I switched bulbs to a lower watt.

Muzoid

Reaction score
Here's the next endevour, although GTA is still about to be filmed....but I was also comissioned for a movie theme for this book.

I have yet to have any ideas yet....I actually haven't read it yet, I will wait until I have to comepose any ideas.

This one has a religious base, but surfaces around the life of an Oak Tree.

I start reading this one tomorrow, I'll keep you all posted as I go, but there is a really nice quote I liked in the preface.

"The tree has been a best friend to man, and yet man has been it's worst enemy"

That's about all I can tell you so far.

Here is the cover for Pluck!...maybe some of the musicians here can help, and possibly I can include some of you in the creative.

pluck-cover1.jpg

SlickDick

Reaction score
Religious theme eh? I would look into Rick Wakeman for some Ideas ha ha . Find some loops w/ a choir and a church organ but play like Jimmy Smith< just joking of course but funny how I should nail the score composure thing not to brag, but, I guess i know alot more about music than I think>

Muzoid

Reaction score
You'd actually laugh....I'm in a 12x12 room, that was originally a bedroom in my basement....it is heavily insulated so I'd say 85% soundproof....The vocal booth is the area at the base of the stairs....I will actually take some pics tomorrow, as it's quite nice and perfect for my needs...

A couple of years ago I heard an interview of producer Danny Lanois' home studio, and he wired every room in the house...when he wants to record a particular instrument, he makes the artist play it in every room in the house (including bathroom) and decides where it sounds best.....so I copied him, and wired every room in my house too - hahaha....guitars sound great in my daughter's toyroom, amps sound best in the hallway...and some singers have sang in the tub - hahahaha...seriously!

SlickDick

Reaction score
Love the technique you have a good imagination kind of like John Meek who was a well known producer and engineer. If you need more insulation get some heavy curtains from the windows you can move them at will try clapping your hands and listen for s--t like echo then go from there. Everybody sounds good in the shower even myself. Not that I hear a faint noise but what else dod you have? Sound dividers to box in muscians?

Muzoid

Reaction score
Love the technique you have a good imagination kind of like John Meek who was a well known producer and engineer. If you need more insulation get some heavy curtains from the windows you can move them at will try clapping your hands and listen for s--t like echo then go from there. Everybody sounds good in the shower even myself. Not that I hear a faint noise but what else dod you have? Sound dividers to box in muscians?

Thank you...

I've actually covered a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifyer, with both mine and my daugher's bedsheets/comforters to dampen - hahahaha

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online