Hendrix Digital Bootlegs

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Rare Jimi Hendrix bootleg catalog has gone digital. Here is the announcement: Experience Hendrix LLC today announced that releases on its official 'bootleg' Dagger label are now available for digital download for the first time in the company's history.

Dagger Records was founded in 1998 by Experience Hendrix to provide fans of the legendary guitarist with exciting, never before released studio recordings, home demos, rare interviews and unforgettable live performances. Each album in the acclaimed series provides new insights into Jimi's remarkable creativity.

Experience Hendrix LLC CEO Janie Hendrix encapsulated the label's history, "With my late father's blessing, Dagger Records was devised as an avenue to fulfill the requests of the 'deep' Jimi collectors and worshipers for recordings beyond the 'core releases' such as Electric Ladyland, Are You Experienced and the recent Valleys of Neptune. Dagger material is certainly of great historical significance but might not have been recorded most optimally, a situation that mandated the establishment of a specialty imprint to ensure that consumers are treated as fairly and as honestly as possible."

Prior to Dagger's founding, an underground market existed for Jimi Hendrix recordings that was rife with expensive, poorly annotated bootlegs, often of questionable quality. Dagger releases offer inspired live performances and revealing home and studio recordings that are highly valued by Hendrix cognoscenti. As has been the case with physical releases since its inception in 1998, Dagger's digital assets will be available exclusively at Jimi Hendrix | The Official Jimi Hendrix Site Dagger's digital catalog of 11 albums is offered in high resolution (320kpbs) MP3 format that are DRM free.

Janie Hendrix recalled, "Before we were able to get back the rights to Jimi's music, I used to see a lot of bootleg albums and I, too, was one of the victims of high prices and shabby product. It really made no sense [considering] that we have a whole vault full of Jimi Hendrix material to not make much of it available to enthusiasts on our own terms in a transparent way. Obviously, not all of the material is of the commercial and sonic quality of the core titles so Dagger was devised as a means to market these recordings honestly to offer new insights into Jimi's creative process for those who are most interested. Our alliance with Sony Legacy launched very successfully with the release of Valleys of Neptune and the re-issue of classic Jimi Hendrix Experience titles earlier this year so it seemed like the appropriate time to take the Dagger catalog into the digital domain."

Dagger Records Catalog releases to date:

Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At The Oakland Coliseum
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At Clark University
Morning Symphony Ideas
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live In Ottawa
Jimi Hendrix: Baggy's Rehearsal Sessions
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Paris 67 / San Francisco 68
Hear My Music
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At The Isle Of Fehmarn
Burning Desire
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Paris/Ottawa 1968
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At Woburn

Hendrix Digital Bootlegs ::Jimi Hendrix News ::antiMusic.com

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I have that Paris/SanFran show on CD. Got it from a travelling Hendrix museum tour some years ago. It's a great disc!

I hope this is the direction everybody is going in. There are plenty of Neil Young shows I'd doll out a good $30 for in mp3 from right about now.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
If you look around you'll find most of those are available online for free, and they are legal.
You'll have you do your own searching, although a few of my earlier posts will lead you to some of the links.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
If you look around you'll find most of those are available online for free, and they are legal.

In what sense are they legal? Hosted on some Somalian website which doesn't recognize copyright law? By all means, correct me if I'm wrong. But nothing Hendrix Ltd. is selling could possibly be available for free legally, and the legality of live bootlegs in general is disputed at best.

You'll have you do your own searching, although a few of my earlier posts will lead you to some of the links.

Things were so much easier in the days of Kazaa and Soulseek and Limewire. Now adays it's all torrents this and torrents that and sure I can get torrents for the easy stuff, the common stuff. But seems like the real treasure troves have been delegated to the members-only communities these days.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
In what sense are they legal? Hosted on some Somalian website which doesn't recognize copyright law? By all means, correct me if I'm wrong. But nothing Hendrix Ltd. is selling could possibly be available for free legally, and the legality of live bootlegs in general is disputed at best.

Things were so much easier in the days of Kazaa and Soulseek and Limewire. Now adays it's all torrents this and torrents that and sure I can get torrents for the easy stuff, the common stuff. But seems like the real treasure troves have been delegated to the members-only communities these days.

Audience recordings and recordings traded by roadies, etc are legally fair game. you are not allowed to sell these shows. What is illegal is posting copies of commercially released material.

No links to official album releases.
The subject says it all, no links to officially released albums here..that means no copyrighted material of any sort...i.e. nothing from livemetallica.com, no audio tracks ripped from DVD releases, no officially released live recordings, etc.... this includes demos of upcoming album releases. If an album has been out for years and you have demos of that album you want to post that's no problem. Also, don't upload any official album releases to the guitars101 server.

Any posts or threads with links to official releases will be deleted with a warning and repeated offenses will lead to being banned.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Impact On Music Sales

Music sales have declined over the past several years, but many studies have concluded that illegal downloading is not to blame. A Duke University/Harvard University joint study found the effect of file sharing to be zero on music sales, and a study by The Economist reported that three-quarters of the decline in sales could not be blamed on illegal downloads. The study of P2P network users in Europe found that one in three people who download music purchase less music than they previously did.

In other words, there is no definitive answer. Some artists actively encourage their fans to download their music, believing it to be a promotional tool. Other artists are vocal opponents of file sharing.

http:

//music.lovetoknow.com/Downloading_Legal_Music

RIAA - Recording Industry Association of America - July 09, 2010

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
The more music I'm exposed to the more I'm likely to buy. That said--I will make every effort to purchase my music used or while on sale. I use Amazon, emusic and Limewire pay services. The industry isn't going after people like myself who are collecting old Rock albums. It's the teens listening to today's garbage that they are more prone to deal with. They are not even suing people anymore. They were losing most of the cases and were losing more money chasing people down than it was worth. Music costs TOO much. If every song on a CD was great it would be different, but usually only a few cuts are really worth paying for. That's why the option of paying for individual songs works well. However, some groups do not permit this. It's all or nothing and my choice is usually nothing.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I agree 100% with your view of downloading. Personally I wish the RIAA would be dismantled brick by brick and then laughed at maliciously by the populous, but I'm not very pragmatic. I buy from Amazon myself, just because it's easier than googling for torrents (it's about 2 mouse clicks compared to 3 or 4). But you gotta admit it is a grey area. Whether or not the free distribution of live recordings is legal is a debated issue. Certainly I can't imagine anything that Hendrix corp. is packaging and selling to be considered fair game, even if it was previously okay.

...Also I wonder if any of these releses includes the clean hotel room Electric Ladyland demos I've heard so much about.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online