Head East (Official Thread)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Official Head East Thread

^^Petra is a good band, Dreams. Schlitt is a decent vocalist. I would liked to have seen him go back to Head East, though. Head East never really got a chance to make it big with all the internal band problems.

Dreams

Reaction score

I saw Petra at Great America theme park (California) with John Schlitt as their lead singer back in the 80s. To be truthful, I'd never heard of Head East until John Schlitt joined Petra. Since then I've listened to some Head East tracks and like what I heard.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

They are decent. I don't think they have put out anything new since the 80's, but they still tour, and right now I think they are doing shows with April Wine. It would be cool to see a new studio album.

opera races

Reaction score

The one Head East album I haven’t seen discussed so far ... Head East Live! - and recently I found out why ... it still hasn’t ever been released on CD which really is a shame. I bought it brand new when it was first released and just about wore it out. If you enjoy live albums and can get your hands on a copy whether vinyl/cassette or CD rip – I say go for it!

HELive.jpg
IMG_0454.jpeg

In hindsight I think Head East’s forte was more as a live band. I remember they were constantly touring around the midwest ... didn’t get to see them myself though. I was listening to Flat As A Pancake (CD) on my way in to work this morning. It’s a good album, you can tell these guys are very good musicians and I’ve always enjoyed it but I was listening to it remembering in back of my mind how the songs come across on the live album, which is much more vibrant and engaging.

Oooh I have a copy of A Different Kind of Crazy on vinyl that I found at a thrift shop awhile ago but haven’t gotten around to listening to it ... I should do that soon! I also have Gettin’ Lucky (vinyl) and of course have had Flat As A Pancake (vinyl) almost forever. I remember seeing the s/t album around but was one of those I somehow never got around to getting and hadn’t turned up used when I was looking ...

I saw the current lineup a few years ago. They usually stick to playing around the midwest but occasionally go a little further afield so I got lucky! Since to me they were a “faceless” band I didn’t have a huge issue with there being only one original band member or that they did not “look like” Head East. All are excellent musicians. The guy who sang most of the old songs is quite good and stayed true to the original versions of the songs, which I think is also good. I really enjoyed the show so I would recommend if they come by your way.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Very nicely put Opera Races, my older brother used to have that vinyl album but I can't really remember it now.

It's too bad it never made it to CD, but with generous people like PBthal and DocRobert out there most classic vinyl albums are uploaded and online for anyone to enjoy...and seeing that one is OOP I have no problem putting it on my shopping list.:grinthumb

opera races

Reaction score

I listened to A Different Kind of Crazy tonight. I'm generally not good at assessing an album after only one listen unless it's obviously one extreme or the other. For now I agree it's a good album and yes very melodic songs that stand well on their own as studio work (i.e. not geared to a live audience). I also noticed there was an instrumental (Morning), which I liked.

I also listened to Head East Live! for the first time in a long while. It's just as good if not better than I remembered. I've learned a lot about music over the past 15 years or so albeit from a guitar illiterate, descriptive point of view. When I listen to "old stuff" now that I haven't played in awhile I feel like I'm hearing it differently than I used to ... if that makes sense to anyone ...

muzik_guy

Certified Music Geek
Reaction score

from 1979, this album is OOP but well worth hunting down. The harmonies are superb; this has to be Head East's most melodic album. The song "If You Knew Me Better" is one of my favorite Head East tunes, and hardly anyone has heard it before.

IMG_0452.jpeg

THIS. Best thing the band ever released. Im a huge fan of the band & it's just a shame they suffered such a massive lineup change in 1980. that essentially sucked the wind out of their sails. This & Gettin' Lucky are particularly great but all of the 70's LPs are very good.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: The Official Head East Thread

These guys are from my State and I remember hearing about them all the time. Great band! I think they played alot at historic Point East....which is no longer..I could be wrong. But when you hear the name Head East you think of home.

Here is a great live version of their biggest hit! :grinthumb

suebee3490

Reaction score
Re: The Official Head East Thread

These guys are from my State and I remember hearing about them all the time. Great band! I think they played alot at historic Point East....which is no longer..I could be wrong. But when you hear the name Head East you think of home.

Here is a great live version of their biggest hit! :grinthumb

Me too Metalpriest - are you from IL too? I had their 8 track - loved them.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online