1976: Get Yourself Up - (#161)
1977: Gettin' Lucky - (#136)
1978: Head East - (#78)
1979: Head East Live! - (#96)
1979: A Different Kind of Crazy - (#65)
1980: U.S. 1 - (#137)
1982: Onward and Upward - (none)
1988: Choice of Weapons - (none)
1999: Concert Classics Volume 7 - (none)
2000: Live on Stage (edited version of Head East Live) - (none)
2008: Head East Live 2008 - (none)

Head East was a band that had some rocking albums in the 70’s, before falling off the music radar. The band is still together, touring, with Roger Boyd being the only remaining original band member. Dan Birney, bassist, whom was with the band until 1980, died in 2003 of cardiovascular disease. Steve Huston, percussionist, stayed with Head East until 1983, when he left to finish his education. John Schlitt was fired from the band in 1980, and later went on to become vocalist for the Christian band Petra. Mike Somerville, lead guitarist, left the band in 1980, only to rejoin again from 1995-2003.

Head_east.jpg

Original band members:
• Roger Boyd - keyboards/vocals
• Steve Huston - drums/vocals
• Mike Somerville - Guitar/vocals
• Dan Birney - Bass Guitar
• John Schlitt - vocals

The band’s first album was released on Pyramid Records in 1974:

pfaapfca.jpg
IMG_0451.jpeg

Then re-released in 1975 on A & M Records:

200px-Flat-as-a-pancake.jpg

The hit off this debut that got this band noticed:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Official Head East Thread

I have that album, "Flat as a Pancake". I have been trying to get a copy of their self titled debut but it is very hard to find, I am surprised they didn't achieve greater success.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

As far as I know LG, their first 3 albums were never released on CD....

I think, their band issues which began in '79 really put a hurt lock on the band, they completely fell off the music radar. They lost 3 key members in early '80 and the band never recovered.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Someone will do a vinyl rip and offer it eventually...it is amazing how resourceful true fans can be, especially for OOP albums that never made it to digital.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I hope someone does a rip

:pirate:

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score

I am sitting here listening to Head East and I was going to do a thread but thanks to Magic I can just sit back and enjoy the music. Here's a couple of good ones:

CLASIKROKR

Reaction score

I know there are a couple versions out there by a lot of different artists, I really like listening to covers and get other peoples renditions of songs!

SINCE YOU'VE BEEN GONE

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

from 1979, this album is OOP but well worth hunting down. The harmonies are superb; this has to be Head East's most melodic album. The song "If You Knew Me Better" is one of my favorite Head East tunes, and hardly anyone has heard it before.

IMG_0452.jpeg

rtbuck

Reaction score

from 1979, this album is OOP but well worth hunting down. The harmonies are superb; this has to be Head East's most melodic album. The song "If You Knew Me Better" is one of my favorite Head East tunes, and hardly anyone has heard it before.

IMG_0452.jpeg

I'm surprised this album didn't take off better it is very melodic. "Keep a Secret" should have been a hit & same thing with "The Feeling Ain't Right". My favorite song off of the album is definitely "If You Knew Me Better" but I also liked Specialty.I prefer Flat as a Pancake & the S/T but I do think it's a good album

Dreams

Reaction score

John Schlitt after Head East.

Five years after leaving the music industry, John Schlitt received a call from Bob Hartman and was invited to audition for Christian rock band, Petra. The band had just lost its lead singer Greg X. Volz, who had left to pursue a solo career. After a session with Hartman (band's co-founder and guitarist), he was asked to join the band. He sang his first show on February 3, 1986, beginning a career that would span nearly two decades. His first album with the band was the 1986 release Back to the Street.

During his career with Petra, the band released 2 RIAA certified Gold albums (Beyond Belief and Petra Praise: The Rock Cries Out) and earned 4 Grammy and numerous Dove Awards. His travels and performances with the group reached all 50 states of America as well as over 35 countries.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steviepaul

Members online