Have you ever met your idols?

Khor1255

Reaction score
I actually 'talked' to Wolf Hoffman (Accept guitar player) at a bar called Hammerjacks after they played during the Balls to the Wall tour. At the time he was one of my favorite guitar players. The problem was, his accent was pretty thick and the house music was so loud I could barely understand him so I kind of cut it short to avoid embarrassment. He was a really nice guy and I really wish I had heard some of his answers because I was grilling him over who played which guitar parts in some of my favorite songs by them.

I also had Larry Fast give me a dirty look for throwing a beer bottle too loudly (not on purpose) and was called a kid by McCoy Tyner's drummer.

mseals

Reaction score
I'm actually met quite a few...

Joey Kramer, before a concert in Tulsa. Genuinely nice guy.

Also, Gary Moffett, drummer for 38 Special... photos below.

Mike

Attachments

• Me Joey and Kym.jpg
    Me Joey and Kym.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Me Gary and Dave.jpg
    Me Gary and Dave.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 47
Reaction score
Wow thanks for all your replies, I've loved reading them (and seeing the photos!) :) It's amazing that we've had the chance to meet so many talented people.

I've posted this elsewhere on the board before, so I don't want to bore everybody to death, but it fits with this thread. I used to see Ozzy on a regular basis at a pub I used to frequent during the period '78 - early '80s. All I can say is he was a top bloke - you could sit and have a chat with him the same as anybody. Very difficult to keep up with him in the drinking stakes though :wa

Johnny, I will have a look for your old posts as I would love to hear your stories. Sorry, when you're new it's difficult to find out the topics people have already posted before :uh: ! xx

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Living in NY most of my life and working in NYC I've had the opportunity to meet several musicians, movie stars, sports stars and other famous people. Also several prog musicians who played NEARfest and one of my past girlfriend's dj a bunch of private parties of famous people.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Never been fortunate enough to meet any of my true idols like Neil Young, Tom Petty, or Magneto (he, erm, might not exist, but that's not the only roadblock between me and being able to meet him!) I could definitely imagine Neil being a drag in person, he seems pretty irate these days. But just meeting him would be the most amazing moment of my life. I've talked to Tom Petty on twitter and he was just phoning it in, but even for him to take the time to tweet and especially to tweet to me, was extremely special and generous. For that matter, I've tweeted a lot with Immortal Technique and while I can't say I was in love with our chats or anything, he's definitely exactly the person he presents himself as.

But I have met legendary record producer Steve Albini, who is someone I very greatly admire and someone who's worked with several of my heroes. Unfortunately, I was generally too star struck to say anything of substance during our time spent together. But as a person he was the living embodiment of everything he stands for as an artist. He was just totally cool, totally laid back, completely unpretentious, completely sincere and very, very nice. It'd be impossible to imagine a version of Steve Albini better than the real thing -- he was actually cooler than he seems in interviews.

I've also met some minor TV stars and they were, too, were way cooler than I thought they would be. So I definitely wouldn't say 'never meet your idols.' A lot of people out there really are as great as they seem.

The only famous people I met who even remotely disappointed me were Ten Years After, the new version without Alvin. They were cool guys, signed autographs, chatted with us, even gave us a cool encore, so I have no complaints really. But to be accurate they did make a bunch of lewd comments to girls from the audience and I thought that was pretty uncouth for these guys. I mean, I could understand that kind of hubris from someone like John Mayer, but these are dudes who aren't really famous and aren't attractive either. I'd definitely have a beer with them and they put on a damn great show... I'm just sayin', that's the only time for me that famous people weren't quite as cool in real life as they were on the record.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I've shook hands and chatted with Uli Jon Roth, Kim Simmonds and the guys from Graveyard and I've watched from close by, Sweat chinwag with a host of my heroes as he does.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I have a photo of Alice Cooper and myself. It's on a disc, somewhere in this house, but I couldn't say where.

I have met, and gotten autographs & pics with a bunch of Baltimore Orioles through the years. Cal actually signed a copy of his book.

But, all those were lost when my folks' house burned down. As were all my posters, vinyl, etc.

The bright side, though, is I got to keep my folks.:):):) Puts that whole 'collectables' thing in perspective.

One person I 'd love to sit down with is The Dalai Lama. That's my own personal Mecca.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Yeah I met my idols. Status Quo and funnily enough, Noel and Liam Gallagher.

Great experiences, got autographs, some photos (with Quo) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Liam Gallagher was nothing like his reputation. Absolute gent.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online