Has Knowing Too Much Really Soured You On Some Musicians?

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I saw it in the theater on opening night. Magnificent. I was in awe the whole time. It reminded me of everything good about Michael.

Michael still had it. He sounded great in those rehearsals. Too bad that tour never materialized because of his death.

I went out and bought the DVD after seeing it the first time. Probably one of my favorite movies out of my whole collection.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I am not a big MJ fan anyway, his funeral and everything that followed his death I paid no attention to it at all.

I am never one for Idol Worship, and the hysteria that follows the death of Elvis or MJ or even Lady Diana mystifies me.:think:

Still MJ did leave some good music behind, and I don't berate him for his stupidity about other aspects of his private life.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I am not a big MJ fan anyway, his funeral and everything that followed his death I paid no attention to it all.

I am never one for Idol Worship, and the hysteria that follows the death of Elvis or MJ or even Lady Diana mystifies me.:think:

Still MJ did leave some good music behind, and I don't berate him for his stupidity about other aspects of his private life.

Ah, Elvis. Another favorite of mine. The excess living and mysterious circumstances surrounding his death don't make me think any less of him. Nor do those bad movies and the accompanying soundtracks.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
My Mom was a big fan of his Aero, I have a couple of CD's she left me but I don't play them very often.

It is not healthy to put these artists on any kind of pedestal to the point you suffer severe depression when they die young. I pay my respects by listening to their music and remember their good qualities, with the exception of murdering church burning bring back Odin worship Norwegian metal singers...:grinthumb

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
I never realized how much of a douche Jim Morrison was until I read a biography of The Doors. I can't remember which one it was though. So ever since then The Doors don't do much for me.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Jim Morrison was an angel when he was sober, but once he started drinking his demons took over. It was a classic case of stage fright at first, he needed to drink before performing in front of an audience. But later on it took over his life and pretty much sealed his fate.

I guess I make allowances for certain things, but others do the same for me architect, I can't dissociate between the heinous acts and the music. Guess we all have our prejudices.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I dont sour on musicians based on things they have done.
I still like Dave Mustaine and Megadeth and they did their share of drunken shit.
I dont much like Lars and I still listen to Metallica.
Depends on the level of crimes or whatever, if it was say murder or anything that was destructive to a huge level, I agree with LG on this one.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I apologize for the bluntness of this statement but if you stop listening to a musician outside of anything to do with them musically you weren't truly a fan of the music period. End of story. Lot's of my favorite musicians are assholes. I don't care. Most people are. Hell, I'm quite the asshole at times. :heheh: I'm not inviting these people over for dinner. I don't even care to have a beer with them because they are just people. It's the music I love and their concepts and ideas that create the music but I don't care what they suck, ****, do to make a buck, their excesses, public messes, whether they wear dresses or any of that shit when I'm pumping their sonic bliss through my headphones. I think it's about time we separate the music from the artist and take the artist of the pedestal lke LG said and replace it with the music itself! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^My that was extra blunt even for you my esteemed music addict...:oyea:

I have posted my main villain in here already, while I agree with a lot of your points when it comes to murder and destroying irreplaceable things and preaching a return to pagan worship...at that point I am going to hold a grudge that will affect anything the perpetrator does.

Fortunately I don't like Black metal anyway...so it makes this one easy but I had to use him as an example.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
If I took into account all of Zep's backstage antics I would have stopped listening to them the second I read such a thing. Oh, and the fact that Jimmy Page liked underage girls and "practiced black magic" doesn't bother me at all. He's still my favorite artist and they're still my favorite band.

Even if they did pleasure a girl with a mudshark. :oyea:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online

No members online now.