Has Knowing Too Much Really Soured You On Some Musicians?

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Doesn't really bother me. All I care about are the recordings.

For example:

-I don't like Judas Priest any less because Rob Halford is gay.

-I don't like Judas Priest any less because one of their old drummers went to jail for being a *********.

-I don't like Motley Crue any less because Vince Neil drives drunk.

-I don't hold it against musicians who go out of their way to disown and distance themselves from their older material.

-I don't like Jerry Lee Lewis any less for marrying his underage cousin.

I could go on and on. No big deal to me. Everybody has skeleton's in their closet, everybody's family has a black sheep.

Many of the musicians with questionable stuff from their past are also kind-hearted people. Halford, Vince and for that matter Gene Simmons (seen as a money-grubber) have done plenty for charity over the years.

Last edited:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I listen to music for the music, and any personal thing about the musician is fine and dandy, but I could care less. Unless it were something life threatening, or the musician was put into a home or something. Otherwise, I just care for the music.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Doesn't really bother me. All I care about are the recordings.

For example:

-I don't like Judas Priest any less because Rob Halford is gay.

-I don't like Judas Priest any less because one of their old drummers went to jail for being a *********.

-I don't like Motley Crue any less because Vince Neil drives drunk.

-I don't hold it against musicians who go out of their way to disown and distance themselves from their older material.

-I don't like Jerry Lee Lewis any less for marrying his underage cousin.

I could go on and on. No big deal to me. Everybody has skeleton's in their closet, everybody's family has a black sheep.

Many of the musicians with questionable stuff from their past are also kind-hearted people.

Well said, Aeroplane!

I also want to say I hold nothing against Michael Jackson, either. Personally I think he deserves the praise instead of all the negativity.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Trivial things don't bother me, and I can get past almost any artists....bad tendencies.

However I draw the line at outright murder, Varg Vikernes who is revered in the Black metal fraternity and by his fans killed another musician. I don't like his band Burzum anyway but I will always associate him with that act of violence. He has served his sentence and is now living on a farm somewhere in Norway from what I gather.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Trivial things don't bother me, and I can get past almost any artists....bad tendencies.

However I draw the line at outright murder, Varg Vikernes who is revered in the Black metal fraternity and by his fans killed another musician. I don't like his band Burzum anyway but I will always associate him with that act of violence. He has served his sentence and is now living on a farm somewhere in Norway from what I gather.

I still wouldn't hold that against a musician. It isn't like they can murder you by listening to the music

:peek

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Well said, Aeroplane!

I also want to say I hold nothing against Michael Jackson, either. Personally I think he deserves the praise instead of all the negativity.

I know Soot also likes Jackson quite well. I was a fan of Michael's growing up in the 80's and I have pretty strong opinions on him and the public's perception of him.

None of which I ever intend to get into on this forum, though.

I'm a rabid MJ fan. I always believed in him. The day he passed away was terrible for me. I came home from work just as the coverage was starting about his medical emergency (before he actually died) and kept on watching until his passing was officially announced, then watched for a few hours more.

Just like I continue to believe in somebody like Axl Rose or Mike Tyson, a couple of other very polarizing entertainers who I was a huge fan of. And I'm still a big fan of those guys today.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I still wouldn't hold that against a musician. It isn't like they can murder you by listening to the music

:peek

He also advocated the burning of churches all across Norway, I am not sure if anyone died as a result but Norway has lost some of their ancient landmarks because of his insanity.

Stike one for murder.

Strike two for destruction of priceless national landmarks.

Strike three for releasing terrible music.

Verdict, book of Varg Vikernes is closed forever for me.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I know Soot also likes Jackson quite well. I was a fan of Michael's growing up in the 80's and I have pretty strong opinions on him and the public's perception of him.

None of which I ever intend to get into on this forum, though.

I'm a rabid MJ fan. I always believed in him. The day he passed away was terrible for me. I came home from work just as the coverage was starting about his medical emergency (before he actually died) and kept on watching until his passing was officially announced, then watched for a few hours more.

Just like I continue to believe in somebody like Axl Rose or Mike Tyson, a couple of other very polarizing entertainers who I was a huge fan of. And I'm still a big fan of those guys today.

I also was plastered to the TV when MJ passed. His funeral was extremely moving for me.

Tyson is another story altogether. If he was a musician, his rape conviction wouldn't bear any reflection on whether or not I would listen to his music, but since he isn't a musician........I can think bad thoughts about him and his violence towards a woman iffin' I want to :D

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I know I may regret saying this, but I really am getting tired of the people who STILL say that the only thing they remember about Michael Jackson was the whole molestation story. Honestly, that's the last thing I remember about him. I always ask people, "why does that make him different than any other musician that did something bad in their career", and they always come back with "well, he changed skin colors". I literally just sit there wondering what the hell is going on in their head at that time.

The things I remember most from MJ are the performances with Slash, I watch them on Youtube all the time. And the "This Is It" release. Phenomenal DVD.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
And the "This Is It" release. Phenomenal DVD.

I saw it in the theater on opening night. Magnificent. I was in awe the whole time. It reminded me of everything good about Michael.

Michael still had it. He sounded great in those rehearsals. Too bad that tour never materialized because of his death.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online