Has Knowing Too Much Really Soured You On Some Musicians?

Buff

~going mobile~
Reaction score
eh, not typically. A lot of people I know are now turned off at Elton John cuz he's openly gay and now married to his SO. BFD. None of my business and it certainly hasn't impacted his music. I saw him last May and geez, I think he sounds better now than he did 30 years ago.

Along other lines, there are songs out there that I love, but don't think I want to listen to ever again. Hmmm, good poll subject.....?

newdawnfades

Reaction score
If you couldn't tell Elton John was gay in the 70's then there's something seriously wrong with you. It hasn't changed a thing with me, I always knew that the lyrics were mostly from Bernie Taupin anyways.

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
Kind of. I've been listening to the Beatles since I was three and studying them intensely since about 1988 and sometimes I have to consciously purge them from my diet for really long periods of time to be able to appreciate them again. I don't think I listened to any of their stuff all throughout college.

I hadn't listened to them in a year and started to get back into their stuff lately, although every time I listen to them I feel myself going the obsessive-compuslive route again...thinking of take numbers, potential alternate album track listings, the history of each song, etc. It's scary sometimes because it feels like I can't control it. Sometimes I think the Beatles are a hazard to my health.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Martin Q. Blank said:
I hadn't listened to them in a year and started to get back into their stuff lately, although every time I listen to them I feel myself going the obsessive-compuslive route again...thinking of take numbers, potential alternate album track listings, the history of each song, etc. It's scary sometimes because it feels like I can't control it. Sometimes I think the Beatles are a hazard to my health.

Take a break, man. Listen to some Rutles. :)

Spike

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Pete Townshend from The Who:

I was watching an interview and he said, "I know what it's like to be a woman, because I am one."

My stomach kinda turned on that statement.

Emrock

Reaction score
When I learned John Lennon almost killed a guy with a shovel at Macca's 21st birthday party, I realized he was a man first, Beatle John second.

Flower

retired
Reaction score
I really don't get into "gossip" of any kind .. I don't care about a person's private life when I listen to their music ..

Of course, I read newspapers and form opinions but do I "care"? NO, if I like an artist's music, it doesn't mean that I have to like or respect them as a person.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Gossip! I love gossip :D

Will gossip and PR media hype change my listening tastes, NO WAY.

There is two kinds of music IMO.......the stuff I like, and the stuff I don't. No amount of gossip, or media hype will change what I like to hear.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Staff online

Members online