Has Knowing Too Much Really Soured You On Some Musicians?

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Sometimes I think just knowing too much about bands makes it hard to appreciate the music. I actually liked to spin a little Michael Jackson every so often. But because of all of this drama with sexual molestation it really has precluded me from listening to his music.

I was reading the Journey thread and there were alot of people who knew the Pre-Perry lineup and because of that they can't stand the Perry incarnation.

There's so much history with bands and musicians that sometimes it can get in the way of just listening to the music and enjoying it for what it is.

Are there any bands that have soured you because you knew too much about them?

algernon

Reaction score
There's something called the "fatigue" principle in Aesthetics and basically what it says is that in every piece of art there is a point where you just tire of it. You may love the Beatles, but if you listened to them non-stop you would reach a point where you just would have enough. Bob Dylan was maybe the first popular artist, I think, to recognize this principle and use it to enhance his career, cultivating an atmosphere of mystery around himself by being inaccessible and obtuse.

algernon

Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
Well it seems like he's forgetting that principle with these commercials he's running recently. ;)
Yeah, I think these days he's sort of reacting against the image he so carefully crafted. I think at this point(autumn) in his life, Dylan really feels a spiritual need to come clean for posterity...to be honest..to tear down the myth and reveal his humanity. It's a very decent and generous thing to do and I don't think there's any commercial motivation behind it at all.

Last edited:

eccentric man

Reaction score
the guitar solo thing got me thinking about this one.

carlos santana is one guy i've learned too much about and have a hard time listening to now. his old stuff is still cool but the newer stuff just rings hollow in my ears. his whole new age spirituality thing seems about as batty as scientology. the whole idea of putting out 'santana' albums where the reality of the situation is that he's just being whored out to solo over a compilation of radio friendly pop tunes with a latin twist just seems wrong. you want to talk about an autumn cash grab....

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
I used to have a problem with Oasis because of all the backstage drama and their rather f&(ked up attitudes about being so freaking great made me not like them at all. But then the only song I was familiar with was Wonder Wall, which I'm still not fond of.

However, I decided to actually give them a listen when someone requested I add them to my radio station library. Having heard some of their other work, I actually have developed an appreciation for their music and rather like them.

I gotta agree with the Michael Jackson one. And sometimes Madonna, too. I actually like some of her music but she's just so....well, it's hard to explain but she just does things that are kind of annoying to me. That whole Kabala (sp?) thing for one. And of course her being kind of slutty is kind of a turn off.

eccentric man

Reaction score
speaking of wonder wall. check out the Cat Power cover if you can get a hold of it. one of the rare cases where the cover is vastly superior to the original.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
eccentric man said:
speaking of wonder wall. check out the Cat Power cover if you can get a hold of it. one of the rare cases where the cover is vastly superior to the original.
Thanks for the recommend. I love Cat Power.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online