Gus. G Wants To Bring Back The Classic Ozzy Sound!

OzzyVanHalen

Reaction score
Ozzy Osbourne guitarist Gus G. recently spoke with the Broward-Palm Beach New Timesabout what he and The Prince of Darkness might have in store for the next Ozzy album.

"I've made a lot of riffs and some demos," he said. "We have been going back and forth, talking about it. But it's kind of too early to say anything, because we're still on the road. I don't know what the plan is once this tour is done. I'm feeling inspired, so if I get the call to go back in the studio with Ozzy - we just have to wait and see."Gus, who contributed to Osbourne's most recent album, Scream, said that the Ozzy demos don't sound anything like the work he does with his band, Firewind.

"If I would make another Ozzy album, I would like to make the ultimate Ozzy album - marry the classic stuff but with the new era," he said. "I'm just very inspired by the Randy [Rhoads] and Jake [E. Lee] albums. I'm writing in that vein and some more Sabbath-y riffs. It's hard to tell, really. I could say it reminds me of Sabbath, but you never know how that's going to end in the final production with the whole band playing and the vocal lines."Ozzy, Gus and friends have Scream Tour 2011 dates planned through August.

ozzy-gus-g.jpg

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Ozzy will never sound like early solo/Sabbath. Scream album proves it.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
If anyone brings back the classic Ozzy sound, it ain't gonna be "Gus G."

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I really like Firewind and respect Gus G and his passion about whoever he is playing with.

I do agree that Ozzy's best days are behind him now...more than anything else that is the biggest limitation in any project he is part of. Still I would like to see another album with Gus on guitar and hopefully Ozzy must be thinking the same thing.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I really like Firewind and respect Gus G and his passion about whoever he is playing with.

I do agree that Ozzy's best days are behind him now...more than anything else that is the biggest limitation in any project he is part of. Still I would like to see another album with Gus on guitar and hopefully Ozzy must be thinking the same thing.

Well, my comment came across the wrong way.

What I mean by that is that for all of his hard work, Gus G. isn't going to dictate what direction the next Ozzy album goes in because he just doesn't have enough stroke to influence that sort of thing.

But yeah, his playing is good and I am sure he is coming up with good stuff.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I knew what you meant Aero, I was just saying I feel Ozzy is the limiting factor more than anything else, not only because he isn't quite the vocalist he used to be, but also as you pointed out he has the "juice" and calls the shots.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I knew what you meant Aero, I was just saying I feel Ozzy is the limiting factor more than anything else, not only because he isn't quite the vocalist he used to be, but also as you pointed out he has the "juice" and calls the shots.

That's one of the problems with younger musicians hooking up with a much older veteran artist. In fact, I tend to be wary of established rockers bringing in newer members who are a full generation younger than the rest of the guys.

They assume they will have more say or control in a project than they eventually get.

Meanwhile, the artist they are working for assumes they don't have to cede the control in the first place since it is their band and that young guy is "lucky" to be playing with them.

Granted that isn't always the case, but if you've ever watched the movie Rock Star with Mark Wahlberg, loosely based on the whole Judas Priest thing, you'd see a perfect example of that idea in action.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I actually think in this instance it's more weighted the other way around, Ozzy is lucky Gus G is playing with him at this point in his career.

Never saw that movie, but I understand what you are saying. Sometimes it works and other times it blows up...one reason old rockers bring in young talent is because it is a given they are Ceasar and the only thing you have to do is march where he tells you to.:D

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good idea!!

To do that....bring back Jake E Lee!!

Jake+E+Lee+Lee+Jake+E++A+Fine+Pink+Mist+I.jpg

:bow:

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Never saw that movie, but I understand what you are saying. Sometimes it works and other times it blows up...one reason old rockers bring in young talent is because it is a given they are Ceasar and the only thing you have to do is march where he tells you to.:D

Since you never saw the Mark Wahlberg Rock Star movie, I oughta put it in context.

In Rock Star, an older metal band sees their famous lead singer quit, part of the reason being that he has decided to come out of the closet.

The band promptly replaces him with Mark Wahlberg's character, a "wanna-be" rocker who devotes most of his free time to playing in a tribute band to that same metal group.

So he ends up playing with them for a few years and around the time their next studio album is going to start, the following scene occurs.

All you'd need to see is between about 1:10 and 3:40. The rest of the stuff is just filler.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online