Guns N' Roses (Official Thread)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I don't feel bad for people ripping on Axl if it's based on his actions and things he says. Showing up late is something he's done for decades and it comes to be expected (but it doesn't excuse it). If people rip that, or a poor/bad on stage performance, it goes with the territory.

And I don't mean just an off night. That happens to the best of them.

I do NOT condone people giving him shit about looking like hell though. I mean, I found some of those "Fat Axl" pictures from a few months ago pretty humorous, but you know what, a LOT of people gain weight when they get older, big ****ing deal. So, while I laughed at it, I don't think I'd support people ripping on him specifically for that. But when he's acting like the spokeman for Massengil, then let'r rip.

:heheh:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well Riff, while I agree that "St. Anger" was of course a huge departure for Metallica the band still had three original band members (Yes, I consider Kirk an original member since he played on the debut and not Dave) unlike "Chinese Democracy" had 20+ people playing on it, none of which were from the classic Gn'R lineup other than Axl (unless you count Dizzy Reed). That's the different I think.

And I agree with you on pretty much all of that, Lynch. Axl has been getting criticized and publicized for his on and off stage antics, starting concerts so late, and all of his other things from pretty much the get go, so yeah it's really nothing new. Him being one of my singing heroes it bugs me but it's obvious that I have a great deal of bias. :D

Sebastien Bach once said something about Axl's tardiness that made a lot of sense to me. It went a little something like "This is rock and roll, you can't stay up a little later for that?"

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well Riff, while I agree that "St. Anger" was of course a huge departure for Metallica the band still had three original band members (Yes, I consider Kirk an original member since he played on the debut and not Dave) unlike "Chinese Democracy" had 20+ people playing on it, none of which were from the classic Gn'R lineup other than Axl (unless you count Dizzy Reed). That's the different I think.

And I agree with you on pretty much all of that, Lynch. Axl has been getting criticized and publicized for his on and off stage antics, starting concerts so late, and all of his other things from pretty much the get go, so yeah it's really nothing new. Him being one of my singing heroes it bugs me but it's obvious that I have a great deal of bias. :D

Sebastien Bach once said something about Axl's tardiness that made a lot of sense to me. It went a little something like "This is rock and roll, you can't stay up a little later for that?"
Given the fact Guns changed their line-up I think it should have been expected they weren't gonna be the same music as the classic line-up.

Lynch

Reaction score
Ahahaha, that's great. I love Seb Bach. One of my top 10 singers of all time. Amazing voice and a pretty decent personality from what I can tell, by all of the videos and interviews I've seen of him.

:cheers2

Speaking of GnR and coming on late. I saw them back in early '92 with Soundgarden opening up for them (btw, I slept through almost all of soundgarden, what a boring freakin' band). Anyway, the actual concert wasnt' even support to start until 9pm. Very unusual for MN where most concerts started at 7:00 or 7:30 unless there was no opening band, then maybe 8pm.

Anyway, GnR didn't come on stage until almost 11pm, but when they did, they were absolutely incredible! They played for close to 3 hrs including encores. We didn't leave the actual arena to head back to our cars until about 2:15am.

:grinthumb

Latest concert ever, but well worth it.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
From what I've seen of Baz he's a nice guy too but can be kind of a prima donna like Axl as well. I watched Celebrity Fit club on VH1 a ways back just because of him and he did flip out on more than couple occasions but when he wasn't he seems like one of the nicest guys.

I've heard your story about sleeping through Soundgarden before and I am a fan of Chris Cornell as a singer but Soundgarden is pretty uninteresting to me musically. And there we go, Guns was worth the wait, right?

Given the fact Guns changed their line-up I think it should have been expected they weren't gonna be the same music as the classic line-up.

Yes I know, but that doesn't stop a lot of people from saying that though. :heheh:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
People say a lot of things, most of it is just a bandwagon, like when bands get called sellouts. Which is something I pulled away from. Same with the constant bashing on Chinese Democracy, I don't think its great by any means but I do like some of the tunes on it, pays to eventually grow in terms of an open mind.

Lynch

Reaction score
Guess who just got caller #13 on the radio for my favorite local radio station that was giving away GnR tickets for this Sunday's show?!

Yeah me.

Too bad they wanted caller #15

:uh:

Titokinz

Earthbound misfit
Reaction score
I think they were much better off as an un-signed L.A club act. Once they signed onto Geffen records, the albums they put out was like the air pumped into Axl's raging ego. Appetite was awesome, Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 had some goodies, Spaghetti Incident was meh. After Steven Adler was fired in 1990, things just went skating down a slope for the band.

Did anyone watch the Rock In Rio performance of Empty Guns and Welted Roses? If Axl wants to make a success of any sort on stage, he NEEDS to lose some weight so he can perform much better.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
If Axl was one of the founding members of the band then I think he can still call it Guns n Roses, its like Dave Mustaine how he still called it Megadeth without their classic lineup.

Good point...but I don't like the fact that he has a guitar player with like a top hat on. :rolleyes:

I mean..OK...let's keep a bit of SLASH image in there and fool a couple of people who really don't pay close enough attention or care to.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notmrdurden

Members online