Grateful Dead or Eagles?

Grateful Dead or Eagles?

• Total voters

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Not sure why people are so distasteful towards the Dead.

And no, acid/weed doesn't make them tolerable, it makes them phenomenal. Don't you know how psychedelic rock works?

The Dead are more than a trippy hoo-ha crew, for that matter. They have played everything across the rock spectrum and more. Mr. Garcia could play any instrument he wanted to and was one of the most adaptable and accessible musicians of his time.

As versatile as they were, it's hard to hate them by rooting them out as nothing more than tolerable on drugs. Possibly one of the most redundant statements I've read on this site.

You can have your opinions, but what's the use of ripping into a band like that?

Good thing about either band here is that both have maintained strong followings, even after critical members have passed away. But the Dead have the best following out of any band in history. They are so loyal and the Dead have done such charitable acts for them in return.

The Eagles get nauseatingly boring after so many listens. They aren't bad but they aren't in league with the Dead. :nw:

Maybe Joe Walsh is... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I have not heard much by the Grateful Dead, but I cannot really get into them. They are probably a bit too laid back for my taste. The Eagles never fully utilised Joe Walsh, but they seemed more interesting to me around the time of Hell Freezes Over. Don Felder was an intriguing guitarist and losing him, after regrouping, was unwise. It seems that Henley and Frey were too controlling - they had already lost key musicians, Leadon and Meisner. Anyway, I voted for the Eagles.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
@ Ned Kelly: So it's not ok for some people here to hate the Grateful Dead's music, but it's ok for you to hate those that do? Ok, I think I got it.

nedkelly

Reaction score
I dig Jerry as much as I like Joe. Yes, the Eagles start to bore after some listens except tunes like Witchy Woman. Some Dead tunes like their 'jazzier' stuff get boring, but they're still listenable.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliverevans

Members online