Good Albums With Bad Production

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
What comes to mind:

Metallica's And Justice For All.. where is the bass?

The Who's Tommy... as good as that album is, what is especially noticeable are the drums, they are a little too soft. Live performance of each song turns out to be better, imo. In fact, I think The Who were a much better live band. Live at Leeds is one of the greatest of all time, if not the greatest.

Def Leppard's Hysteria. Too many layers!

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
KISS - Hotter than Hell (1974)

Great album, but it's hard to believe that they went from a pro-sounding debut album earlier in the year to a completely different studio, across the country and ended up with an album that sounds like it was recorded in a broom closet. This is always the first album that comes to mind for me when it comes to this topic.

Cover_hth_large.jpg

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
KISS - Hotter than Hell (1974)

Great album, but it's hard to believe that they went from a pro-sounding debut album earlier in the year to a completely different studio, across the country and ended up with an album that sounds like it was recorded in a broom closet. This is always the first album that comes to mind for me when it comes to this topic.

Cover_hth_large.jpg

I always felt that would be one of my top KISS albums, at least 3 or maybe pushing 2, if the production were good.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Megadeth - So Far So Good So What has great music but god awful production.

Agreed on And Justice. In need of a long due remix/remaster that album to at least up the bass a little.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Death Magnetic. Good album with horrid production.

Reaction score
Billy Joel- Cold Spring Harbor (1971)

Billy's first album is infamous for it's error in the album's mastering. The album was released with the music playing too fast and Billy's voice sounding, as he phrased it, like Alvin from the Chipmunks. Joel was able to use this error to end his contract with Family Productions and had his new label, Columbia Records pay off Family for the release.

The album was remixed by Columbia, and even though it contained a few Joel classics such as "Everybody Loves You Now" and"She's Got A Way", Billy was never happy with the album

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online