Goo Goo Dolls (Official Thread)

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Goo Goo Dolls Thread

Fortunately for me it was overplayed before I started appreciating music :tongue:

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

It's true! I didn't buy my first CD until I was 11, and didn't buy my first good CD until I was 15! :tongue:

rtbuck

Reaction score

Sorry Soot...I'm glad they sold out & did well for themselves but I prefer the older days. I followed them from the beginning (sometime in '86 & actually I seen Robbie in a death metal band called Tyrant prior to the Dolls). In 1986 I went to my first Punk club which was called the Continental in Buffalo to see Johnny Thunders & I could not believe how wild & cool the place was. A month or so later I went back to see the Cherry Bombz (ex members of Hanoi Rocks, Lords of the New Church, & the Clash) & once again I had a great time. After that show they announced the Forgotten Rebels would be playing an all ages show there. My niece had just turned 18 so I decided to take her to the show & introduce her to the scene. She was both amazed & a little scared once she got in the club. We were up near the front of the stage & they introduced the opening band...The Goo Goo Dolls!! It was just the 3 original Goo Goo Dolls (Johnny, Robbie, & George) & they were wild as hell. Robbie & Johnny were running all over the stage barefoot with helium balloons tied to their guitars. My niece & I both loved them. Soon they were playing almost every weekend at the Continental & me & my group of 5 friends would go there. Their shows were wild complete with the crowd slam dancing, moshing, & crowd surfing while the Goo Goo Dolls played revved up classic rock covers & ran around the stage barefoot which was covered with broken beer bottles. It was always a lot of fun seeing them back then. By the late 80's through the early 90's Johnny worked at the club as a barback(collecting empty glasses) & he always would talk to everyone. He would always talk about the Replacements to me & always said they were his biggest influence. He was actually still working there at the time of 'Superstar Carwash'. My one friend was good friends with the band especially Robbie & one day shortly after their 2nd album 'Jed' my friend said that they were going to make a huge change in their music style & he played me a tape of some of their new style which was totally different from their first 2 records (I wish I knew what songs they were).

I remember going to St. Catherines, ON to see them & the Forgotten Rebels & they weren't going over too well with the Canadian Crowd. Robbie began making comments about the Canadians saying that they only like to hear Canadian music so the band launched into a revved up version of "Spirit of the Radio" & the crowd started cheering so Robbie gave them a F-You.

Another wild time was when me & my friend Mad Dog went to see the Goo Goo Dolls perform at the Clark Gym & Buff State College around '90. They had a huge mosh pit of about 50 people going & the Dolls were playing "No Way Out". Mad Dog went into the pit & I stood back & watched. I'm 6' 4" & back then I weighed about 265lbs.I would've been the biggest guy(& probably the oldest) in the pit so I would have felt stupid joining in. All of a sudden Mad Dog was clocked in the head from behind & went down. He was getting trampled so I ran through the pit pushing people out of the way & dragged him by his arms to safety & sat him down. I then went in the pit & cleaned house! The Goos were really wound up & wild as hell onstage that night.

The one other thing which made Goo Goo Dolls shows fun was when Lance Diamond would join them onstage. Lance was an older black lounge singer who still plays weekly at a club called the Elmwood Lounge. Anyways, by the late 80's through the early 90's Lance would join the Goo's for encores by singing oldies such as "My Girl" while the band played their punk versions of these oldies. Lance sings "Down on the Corner" off of their 'Jed' album & "Never Take the Place of Your Man" off of their 'Hold Me Up' album

I can understand people not getting into some of their originals on their first album(although I like them especially "Living in a Hut"). "Don't Beat my Ass..." was always fun live because Johnny would come out w/ an acoustic guitar & the band would just do the bluesy part (They didn't sing the wild part). I love their covers of "Don't Fear the Reaper" & "Sunshine of Your Love" but that first album was kind of Raw. Jed was much better but it was still raw. For my tastes I really feel that "Hold Me Up" is by far their best album & personally I would have loved to see them continue in that style. I liked 'Superstar Carwash' & 'Boy Named Goo" was okay but I started losing interest in them by then probably because I lived through their early days & enjoyed them so much. As I said...I'm really glad they "sold out" & made it but I prefer those early days.

I just seen Robbie last week. Every year he runs a festival over a weekend called the "Music is Art Festival" & it features 40 local bands & other acts such as dancers, magicians...etc.. It also features many tents of Arts & Crafts. Robbie is great he just walks through the crowd all weekend & talks to anyone that approaches him

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Great story RT! It's hard to believe it's the same band! I can see you liking the older Goos as I know you are a punk fan while I'm more into melodic hard rock. Those shows sound like they were pretty crazy! :grinthumb

rtbuck

Reaction score

Soot they were pretty wild times. In the late 90's when they were doing really well they were playing a show in Buffalo & they made the Headlines Front Page on our local news paper. I began thinking...if this was 1978 & I was able to get a news paper from NYC with Kiss on the cover it would be the ultimate so I bought 3 newspapers & put them on ebay & made 54 bucks for three 50 cent newspapers! I almost felt bad that people were paying more than 15 dollars for a paper so I sent along clippings from various club appearances from the 80's along w/ the papers & the people were ecstatic when they recieved the papers w/ the extra clippings! That's how I knew they had really made it!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

@ RT-That's cool to see a band through their formative stages and beyond!

@ Groovy-I agree! Slide is a really great track! :grinthumb

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score

I have just started listening to the Goo Goo Dolls and just bought the self titled album :grinthumb

Previously, the only song I had heard them singing was their cover of Give A Little Bit and that really got my attention .................. Hello! They sound good :heheh:

Now I am enjoying listening to their other songs.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online