Dude111

An Awesome Dude
Reaction score
LG said:
I have about 8 of their albums, I stop at ABACAB
Yea I agree I have these

Abacab
Genesis

And there is more I like on Abacab than Genesis but both are good.....

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Need to get more Genesis tbh the only album I have is Selling England by the Pound.

Oh and @joker1961 I merged your post into the official thread. :)

Schmetterling

Reaction score
Genesis is a band I've always Ignored due to the Phil Collins era material. Was never Iimpressed it all. But I've recently relented my stubborn stance and have started checking their early stuff. Digging it . Nursery Cryme is especially to my liking and Foxtrot is growing on me as well.Selling England By The Pound will probably be next on my prog list of pick ups.

Interesting you should say that as the earlier part Collins Era is my favourite Genesis period. All down to a matter of taste I suppose, but I actually prefer the "Seconds Out" versions of the Gabriel period classics - Suppers Ready, Firth of Fifth, Cinema Show etc.

From the Gabriel period I like "Selling England" but the earlier albums were always just a bit too dated sounding for my ears - even back in the late 70s, and I suspect that's probably because I only started listening to them around the time of Seconds Out and was heavily influenced by it.

The above notwithstanding I thought pretty much all of their music after Duke was a pile of crap. on the "Genesis" album I like just 3 tracks : "Mama" , "Home by the Sea" , and "Second home by the sea" After that I completely lost interest.

Regarding Hacketts Genesis revisited albums : I like what he did with the music on those albums but as always I find that regurgitated songs are never quite the same as the originals and 99 times out of 100 are let down by the vocal performances which invariably makes them sound like covers. If Hackett had used better vocalists I would have a more positive opinion of these albums because as I say, I do like his approach to the music.

The worst moment of all for me about the Genesis revisited project was watching the performance of Ripples at the Albert Hall ( it's on youtube although I don't have the link for it) which to my way of thinking is a classic lesson on how to murder a really good song. Just get a ***** singer who can't cut it and the job is guaranteed.

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
Genesis is a band I've always Ignored due to the Phil Collins era material. Was never Iimpressed it all. But I've recently relented my stubborn stance and have started checking their early stuff. Digging it . Nursery Cryme is especially to my liking and Foxtrot is growing on me as well.Selling England By The Pound will probably be next on my prog list of pick ups.

This is one of those "there are 2 kinds of people in the world" things.
Genesis with Gabriel people and genesis without Gabriel people.
Most of those sayings aren't particularly true.
The Genesis 2 kinds of people is very revealing.
I'm a with Gabriel person myself.
Although I'll grant that seconds out is a great live album.
And "Wind and Wuthering" was pretty good.
After that they also lost Steve Hacket and it went down hill from there.
Oh crap I've muddied the waters now.

I'll leave it to Patrick Bateman (clearly a without Gabriel person and a psycho).
Coincidence? I think not.

And as further proof that without Gabriel people suffer serious mental issues.
I'm betting they are also Huey Lewis people.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online