That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
classicrockrevisited

GENE SIMONS WANTS KISS IN HOF
hennemusic

For many years, KISS have dismissed the notion of the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, insisting that the amount of records they’ve sold is far more important to their legacy.

Despite being eligible for induction in 1999, and snagging a lone nomination in 2010, the band have yet to make the final cut…something that clearly remains a sore spot for the group.

"It's become a joke," bassist Gene Simmons told Rolling Stone at last Wednesday's press conference announcing the band's summer tour with Motley Crue. "We've been thinking about it and the answer is simply, 'We'll just buy it and fire everybody.'"

Beneath the jokes, Gene explains some of his issues with the concept of the Rock Hall itself. "In all seriousness for the fans, for something to be called Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is such an insult to Madonna, Blondie and Tone Loc. Who the f**k knows what other disco act is in there? It's an insult to them because they don't get to be in the 'Dance Hall of Fame,' because that's what they do," Simmons says. "They're legitimate dance, disco artists. They don't belong in rock and roll."

genesimmons.jpg

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Well they're not a disco band, but they did have I Was Made For Loving You on a record that was made up of a couple other rock/disco tracks.

No matter, I think they SHOULD be in for the reason he stated.

ALBUM SALES!!

MEGA album sales. Let alone, the influence on how many acts since then?

The influence on stage shows, the influence they had on marketing and merchandising not seen since The Beatles??

...plus we're talking like 40 years here people. I personally don't know why he would care. They're great with or without it.

:grinthumb

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Buy it Gene.. Buy it!! :oyea: Get rid of those idiots who have no clue about Rock and Roll!!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I agree with him about the artists who are already in that are not Rock and Roll period.

Oh well I've chased this topic round and round till it's become a complete joke, KISS deserves a spot just like a Horde of talented Rock bands.

If I were in charge there wouldn't be anything but rock and roll artists in the HOF. The other stars can get their Own HOF's...oh wait I believe a few other genres already have their's and they don't include any hard rock, metal, rock bands either.:wtf:

If it was a general "Music Hall of Fame" then everyone is eligible.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Beneath the jokes, Gene explains some of his issues with the concept of the Rock Hall itself. "In all seriousness for the fans, for something to be called Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is such an insult to Madonna, Blondie and Tone Loc. Who the f**k knows what other disco act is in there? It's an insult to them because they don't get to be in the 'Dance Hall of Fame,' because that's what they do," Simmons says. "They're legitimate dance, disco artists. They don't belong in rock and roll."

Well you see, it's a good thing KISS hasn't gotten in yet because Gene still has a chance to get into the Dance Hall of Fame with the other disco acts.

:D

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I tend to not believe an artist/band if they claim to not care about a RRHOF induction. At the end of the day who doesn't want to be recognized amongst their peers as a part of the rock music fabric? I knew deep down it had to eat at Gene a little bit and I can't fault him for that. I'd be a bit miffed to see some of these funk/soul artists be inducted before these huge rock bands that haven't been given a chance as of yet. I'm not really a KISS fan but even I'll recognize that that is a problem, and makes me scratch my head a bit. Now you have artists like LL Cool J on the ballot? :confused:

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
I tend to not believe an artist/band if they claim to not care about a RRHOF induction. At the end of the day who doesn't want to be recognized amongst their peers as a part of the rock music fabric? I knew deep down it had to eat at Gene a little bit and I can't fault him for that. I'd be a bit miffed to see some of these funk/soul artists be inducted before these huge rock bands that haven't been given a chance as of yet. I'm not really a KISS fan but even I'll recognize that that is a problem, and makes me scratch my head a bit. Now you have artists like LL Cool J on the ballot? :confused:

People who do it for the love of music and arent attention whores?

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
^^^ I get where you're coming from CN, but if we're talking about Gene I think attention whore would be fitting actually. :heheh: What I'm saying is, I do think some of the artists being continually snubbed may play it off as not being a big deal, but want to be recognized too. Gene has seemed to change his tune here and I get it. It has to be somewhat of an ego blow to have artists like Chic being considered as much as he considers it an insult to those artists being in the rock hall too. I mean, if they didn't want the recognition why would they go "mainstream" anyway.

Khor1255

Reaction score
That place is a joke. I don't think Rush is even in there yet they have all kinds of shit and barely significant acts plastered all over the place. It should be called The Rolling Stone magazine hall of fame or the MTV hall of fame. It ignores several seminal rock acts while praising the periphery.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Definitely agree that the definition of rock is becoming a bit blurred there Khor, and I can't blame any of these artists speaking out against it. I mean I'm a huge Madonna fan. She was inducted in 2008 and my first thought was she has no place there, especially not in front of all these rock acts still waiting in the wings.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Staff online

Members online