Geddy Lee Vs. Paul McCartney

Which one is better???

• Total voters

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Being a bassist myself I highly doubt McCartney influenced more bassist then Geddy Lee ( overall song writing ,or singers may be another story ) .
I constantly hear Geddy mentioned as an influence by other bassist ( over and over again ) and can not remember one time that I've heard Paul sited as an influence in some ones bass playing. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened of course but I am still highly skeptical of the above statement.

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
As for overall musicianship, I'd give the upper edge to Paul. Paul can play several, if not dozens, of instruments, Paul is, arguably, one of the best songwriters of all time, Paul is the most successful songwriter of all time, one of Paul's concerts sold out in eight minutes in 1993 (fastest in history), Paul wrote the world's most popular song (by airplays), Paul was the first person ever to receive the Polar Music Prize, and a lot more.

Geddy Lee doesn't measure up in terms of influence, or even come close. As a bassist, he might have more technical skill, but technical skill is nothing compared to creativity or talent. Heck, most modern "musicians" can play the guitar "better" than Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix (assuming that good playing comes from the complexity of the song alone...) McCartney may not have played the most complicated bass lines, but who would he have to follow? Look at the 50's music before The Beatles came about, and the music after. Do you think there would have even been a Rush if there hadn't been The Beatles, or The Who? Paul's stuff isn't hard, but he played smooth, and his basslines from songs like Rain (he plays those 16th notes before people even knew a bass could make that sound) and I Saw Her Standing there shaped the way for people like Geddy Lee or John Entwistle.

runtfan

Reaction score
As for overall musicianship, I'd give the upper edge to Paul. Paul can play several, if not dozens, of instruments, Paul is, arguably, one of the best songwriters of all time, Paul is the most successful songwriter of all time, one of Paul's concerts sold out in eight minutes in 1993 (fastest in history), Paul wrote the world's most popular song (by airplays), Paul was the first person ever to receive the Polar Music Prize, and a lot more.

Geddy Lee doesn't measure up in terms of influence, or even come close. As a bassist, he might have more technical skill, but technical skill is nothing compared to creativity or talent. Heck, most modern "musicians" can play the guitar "better" than Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix (assuming that good playing comes from the complexity of the song alone...) McCartney may not have played the most complicated bass lines, but who would he have to follow? Look at the 50's music before The Beatles came about, and the music after. Do you think there would have even been a Rush if there hadn't been The Beatles, or The Who? Paul's stuff isn't hard, but he played smooth, and his basslines from songs like Rain (he plays those 16th notes before people even knew a bass could make that sound) and I Saw Her Standing there shaped the way for people like Geddy Lee or John Entwistle.

No real argument, in general, with your assertion that McCartney was an influential and skilled bass player in the 60's, but John Entwistle wasn't one that was influenced - they were contemporaries. As a matter of fact, Entwistle was probably ahead of the pack ( including McCartney) in the 60's. Although Entwistle was a less melodic player than McCartney, he was much flashier and was doing it at the same time as Paul. Chris Squire is a better example of someone that was influenced , in a big way, by McCartney ( as well as Entwistle).

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online