Folk Album Anthology#4: Fotheringay-Fotheringay

joe

Reaction score
insidegatefold-1.png

Sandy Denny left Fairport Convention after the release of Liege And Lief in 1969 to leave behind the bands British folk/celtic roots to focus on her folk idioms as well as her own songwriting. The result is Fotheringay's s/t debut from 1970. Sandy's vocals are all but present except, sadly, for three tracks which are sung by guitarist Trevor Lucas. The album's ambience casts shadows of melancholy, elegant and gentle exuberance. Sandy never sounded better IMO. One of my favourite female vocalist along side of Annie Haslam.

fotheringaypic.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Love Renaissance and Annie myself Joe...I don't have any of Sandy's work outside of Fairport Convention, I did see a Fotheringay album a couple of weeks ago, actually the entire Discography of Sandy's recording career but didn't take it...:think:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Sandy is one of my all time favourites she had an incredible voice IMO.

And one from her solo career.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
O.K. Joe, I was going to give a positive review on this one anyway because of the enchanting quality of Sandy Denny's vocals. I was going to say that anyway but you really saved the best for last with "Nothing More" and gave me something to hold onto with this group and pull me in further. It's great and the most balanced song included IMO.

The first two songs challenged me as the great qualities were there but dragged out, didn't form an identity with me and weren't going to a place I could follow for that long. Then the third song "Winter Winds" had me thinking, I like this better. Maybe shorter songs should've been their route.

Then "Nothing More" came on and hooked me right off (listening to it now) with the piano medley and I know this could fit right into my placelist. She reminds me a little of Natalie Merchant actually. The song mixes in the guitar perfectly and the songs builds perfectly. What a dark beauty and I couldn't pick a better thing to happen to me tonight to relieve my stress than to find a new song. Thank you! :grinthumb

I know I skipped to entries and I'm out of sequence but I'll definitely catch the others Joe! :cheers2

joe

Reaction score
Soot, you're being easy on me this morning.:D

I'm not surprised to hear that you like "Nothing More" with it's piano medley. From what I know of your musical structure preferences, again I'm not surprised you have a leaning to the shorter songs.

BTW, I couldn't take two bad reviews in a row as my ego would be destroyed.:heheh:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Soot, you're being easy on me this morning.:D

I'm not surprised to hear that you like "Nothing More" with it's piano medley. From what I know of your musical structure preferences, again I'm not surprised you have a leaning to the shorter songs.

BTW, I couldn't take two bad reviews in a row as my ego would be destroyed.:heheh:

Joe, it may surprise you that more than a handful of 9+ minute songs do fill my top 50 favorites but you are right in your observations as I don't show a love for those until you follow my taste a little longer. :heheh: I mean i'm not exactly a mainstay in the Progressive threads where longer structures are the norm. :heheh:

You do have a good idea of my musical structure if you predicted that though because I had the feeling I would like that song three seconds in. I'm not sure how solid my preferences are but their are some clinchers for me. A good piano melody is one! :cheers2

I'd say your record is good with me thus far! If I was too guesstimate from bands i looked into because of your list or threads I'd say roughly 80% were positive with the rest being a mix of not bad but not for me! :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online