Folk Album Anthology#11: The Pentangle-Basket Of Light

joe

Reaction score
The Pentangle's Basket Of Light(1969) is the band's masterpiece IMO but some may argue that it is Cruel Sister. Acoustic prog/folk combining blues, jazz and middle eastern influences which casts an etheral calming paganesque soundscape. A reverence of beauty.

The dual guitars of Bert Jancsh and John Renbourn are amazing as is the acoustic stand up double bass playing of Danny Thompson and the splendid soprano voice of Jacqui MacShee similar to that of Annie Haslam from Renaissance. A balance of complex intricate acoustic instruments and thought provoking emotions. A timeless beauty and absolutely stunning. A masterpiece. A piece of music that should be heard by everyone.

basket-of-light.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Sox told me about this band a few months back so I have both Basket of Light and Cruel Sister.:D

joe

Reaction score
^^^I also have Sweet Child but it skips on side 3.:mad It was the second edition of the Rolling Stone Record(1983) that got me into buying folk rock way back as alot the artists had 4 and 5 star ratings on thier albums. Former Rolling Stone editor Dave Marsh who was also the main contributor to the first two editions seldom handed out 5 stars. In some cases he was down right brutal on certain artists and hated Yes, Black Sabbath, Uriah heep and Budgie from what I remember.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online