Favorite progressive rock bands?

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Yeah, the "classic" Rooster lineup that was Paul Hammond, John Cann, and Vincent Crane is all gone now. The band had a long but chequered career and it's tragic for Crane to commit suicide on Valentine's Day but I heard that in the UK they didn't do much for bipolar disorder. Paul Hammond died around the same time too from an OD, and Cann died in 2011 from a heart attack.

But Crane is a hammond master. Shame he is so unknown but a lot of musicians suffer the test of time and don't always make it... His influence is undeniable though

E-Z

Reaction score
I would be interested to know how Vincent came to play on Rory Gallagher's debut solo album back in 1971?. I presume it could have been pre-arranged with both artists prior to Rory going into the studio or more probable it was a spontaneous meeting of both musicians in the studio where Rory may have approached Vincent and asked him if he would play on his solo album?. I guess Donal Gallagher Rory's existing brother would still know how it came about and it mite even be referenced in the liner notes of Rory Gallagher's solo album that Vincent played on although I haven't played that cd/album for maybe 10 years now.

Last edited:

The Deacon

Reaction score
"I have an hour drive each way daily and prog is great for that."

Wrong! Pwog is NOT for background listening. Pwog is for serious, non-distraction listening. Pwog listening involves time set aside, and closed-eyes. It is sacred time.

BikerDUDE: Cheeko, the God of Pwog, is looking down upon you with disfavour. Cower and beware the wrath of mighty Cheeko.

"I also like some of the next gen of prog bands.
Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, Transatlantic."

You can always tell a prog-noob by his list. It is unvariable::
Rush
Steven Wilson
PORKupine Tree
Mars Volta
Spock's Beard (okay - ONE cd is rather good)
Three or four more.

Same old, same old.

Last year 1500 different progband cds were released.

And, no, they were not all Steven frikken Wilson.

Astralfel

Reaction score
I've gotta go with Camel. Mirage is one of my favorite albums from the 70s, with Nimrodel being my favorite song of it. Moonmadness and the Snow Goose are great albums as well.

Honourable Mentions to to: Caravan, ELP, Pink Floyd, Rush, and Gentle Giant.

E-Z

Reaction score
Never really got into 'Prog Rock' I'm sorry to say dudes and I avoid Symphonic Rock altogether!.

Was a heavy rock guy during the 1970s and then went towards blues/rock during the 1980s & 1990s now I'm a mixture of 1970s & 1980s blues/rock and heavy rock.

Take a guy like Uli Jon Roth he was a rock guitarist during the 1970s with the Scorpions then he forms Electric Sun a power trio like Hendrix at the end of the 1970s and the start of the 1980s then after a couple of decent rock albums with Electric Sun he gets into Symphonic rock and that's where he lost me.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online