Favorite Album(s) of the 60's

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
HI Khor..Put the notion of narrowing down this '60's album thing down to one album right out of your head.Can't be done.For the entire 60's,it's impossible to narrow things down to just one for any ONE YEAR let alone the entire decade.Too many greats too great on too many great levels.....

Kinda thought it might of been Cream's "Disraeli Gears", since you've got some nice songs "Strange Brew","Sunshine Of Your Love", "Tales of Brave Ulysses" & "Swlabr" for example and Eric Clapton is a pretty good Guitarist. :D

But you're right, it might be something else. :D

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
"Gears" is one of those albums so chock full of greats,I rarely just skip around and listen to just a track or two.Just let THIS ONE play.Like "Sgt. Pepper","Dark Side of the Moon" and "Led Zeppelin IV".I never get weary of Cream's unique brand of psych blues.The players are so rich in texture and style,it is no less than astounding that they accomplished so much as just a trio,in the very same fashion as the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
The Beatles released eleven albums in the sixties, so that fills my list

Please Please Me (1963)
With The Beatles (1963)
A Hard Day's Night (1964)
Beatles for Sale (1964)
Help! (1965)
Rubber Soul (1965)
Revolver (1966)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
The Beatles (aka the White Album) (1968)
Yellow Submarine (1969)
Abbey Road (1969)

I might be tempted to remove the first two and add In the Court of the Crimson King to make a list of ten.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
There were a lot of landmark records made in the 60's, it would be hard to narrow it down to a few but "Abbey Road" and "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo" by the Byrds would be two on my list.

laverc

█ █ █ █ █
Reaction score
I thought I might of written about this group ages ago, though I couldn't find anything, so I might do something about that soon. The one album they had is pretty interesting one, all the tracks might be on YouTube.

Right on man, do it.

laverc

█ █ █ █ █
Reaction score
Regarding top ten albums of any decade, i got the conclusion that my favorite "decade" happened between '65 and 75. The 60s started to get hot after the Beatles, and the greatest bands of the 70s (at least for me), did their best at the first half of that decade.

I also changed my idea on what of the two (60s x 70s) is better. I think that you can pick many nice rock albums through all the 70s, while the first years of the 60s weren't so exciting.

Last edited:

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I have always said the accomplishments of the rock world between '65 and '75 will NEVER,I repeat NEVER be duplicated!I am in utter concurrence with this assessment,Laverc.Most rock historians tend to agree that the single greatest year was probably 1967."Sgt. Pepper","Doors","Are You Experienced","Velvet Underground and Nico" and LOVE's mammothly influential "Forever Changes" are all the titles necessary to make this argument.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I have always said the accomplishments of the rock world between '65 and '75 will NEVER,I repeat NEVER be duplicated!I am in utter concurrence with this assessment,Laverc.Most rock historians tend to agree that the single greatest year was probably 1967."Sgt. Pepper","Doors","Are You Experienced","Velvet Underground and Nico" and LOVE's mammothly influential "Forever Changes" are all the titles necessary to make this argument.

You didn't even mention Days of Future Passed or Younger Than Yesterday! Hums of the Lovin' Spoonful is another great album from that period too. :D

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
"Future Passed" was without question MAJOR pop accomplishment and one of my personal all time faves but is unfortunately woefully overlooked in the arena of greatest works ever.Why?Well I've been trying to unlock THAT mystery since I first heard the piece in its entirety in the summer of 1985.The disc took "Sgt. Pepper's" symphonic influences one step further by incorporating serious classical pieces into the Moodies' own chosen genre for AN ENTIRE ALBUM!What verve and hootzpah on the part of the Birmingham outfit as well as Decca Records."Nights In White Satin" is nothing less than pure pop-symphony masterpiece,deserving of the company of "A Day In The Life" and "Good Vibrations".

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Actually according to my book - "Days of Future Passed" was first dominating the US charts in 1968 and in the UK it wasn't even in the Top 20 UK Albums for that year, with their subsequent albums "In Search for the Lost Chord" through to "Every Good Boy Deserves Favour", even "Seventh Sojourn" wasn't in the Top 20 UK Albums list, though was in the Top 20 US Albums, however the Moody Blues didn't have "In Search For the Lost Chord","On a Threshold of a Dream", "To Our Children's, Children's, Children" in the Top 20 US. "Days of Future Passed" did fairly well in the Us in '68, reaching #8 in the Top Rock Albums.

The Monkees were doing alright with the albums in '67. "More of the Monkees", which I dare say isn't one of my favourites (or perhaps the Monkees due to the control they had from their producer to just sing), was edged out by the Beatles "Sgt. Peppers", "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Johns Ltd", which is my favourite Monkees album faired well, as did "Headquarters". The last two albums are much more interesting than "More of the Monkees".

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online