Favorite Album(s) of the 60's

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
That's a good list of albums Hurdy Gurdy Man.:tup:

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Thanks but I must admit there are still a few I haven't heard among those mentioned here."Oddessey and Oracle","Asrtral Weeks"...But I guess that's part of the thrill of being a 60's fan.There always seems to be much more to know....There are so many pieces from this period that have become at least somewhat obscure,even that Van Morrison title.One of my faves from the files of the obscure is Strawberry Alarm Clock's "Incense and Peppermints",a very interesting foray into the ranks of West Coast Psychedelia.I know the polls on this site tend to lean towards the rock field,but I understand James Brown's "Live at The Appollo" is also among critics' choice in this category.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Maybe this one's a bit of a dark horse but...
Simon and Garfunkel's-"Parsley" effort.Wonderfully indicative of the period's benevolent and insightful spirits

That's actually another nice choice and one I've been playing more of in recent times. :D
All the Simon & Garfunkel albums are great, but I think what this album does, from their previous Sounds of Silence album, is combine those elements from Sounds of Silence, though with more of an acoustic slant.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I also very much believe Pink Floyd's "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn",although this wasn't realized too much in America during the 60's,has proven over the decades to be a major part of rock evolution,as Syd Barrett's writing approach has been cited as being influential on the English punk craze of the mid to late 70's.

laverc

█ █ █ █ █
Reaction score
1) Pink Floyd - piper at the gates (a favorite from my youth, and also, pink floyd's best, imo)

2) Beatles - magical mystery tour

3) Sonics - Here are... (i think that's the wildest album from the 60's, and also the best garage rock album ever)

4) Beatles - sgt peppers

5) Beach boys - pet sounds

6) Velvet Underground & Nico

7) Jimi Hendrix exp - Are you experienced (hendrix best, it's like a compilation, for all the great songs it has)

8) Doors - same

9) Velvet underground - white light/white heat

10) Stooges - same (i really like pre punk, before it got to the new york and london thing)

____

(QUESTION: isn't there a "Favorite 70s albums" thread on the 70s music session? I couldn't find that)

Last edited:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
1) Pink Floyd - piper at the gates (a favorite from my youth, and also, pink floyd's best, imo)

2) Beatles - magical mystery tour

3) Sonics - Here are... (i think that's the wildest album from the 60's, and also the best garage rock album ever)

4) Beatles - sgt peppers

5) Beach boys - pet sounds

6) Velvet Underground & Nico

7) Jimi Hendrix exp - Are you experienced (hendrix best, it's like a compilation, for all the great songs it has)

8) Doors - same

9) Velvet underground - white light/white heat

10) Stooges - same (i really like pre punk, before it got to the new york and london thing)

____

(QUESTION: isn't there a "Favorite 70s albums" thread on the 70s music session? I couldn't find that)

You probably also should check out The Monks - "Black Monk Time" from 1965, if you haven't already. It's pretty full on - a bit too much for my taste, though I think that style of music would suit yourself if you're into early forms of punk. :D

You would also probably like "Count Five" as well, which were best known for their "Psychotic Reaction" which was a Top 10 for them:

laverc

█ █ █ █ █
Reaction score
^
Right on man, i know both, and i like them. The Monks had personality, and the count five's track is a classic "nugget" from that time, but i'm more into rawer garage stuff, from bands that unfortunately only released singles. Few garage bands managed to record an album, and in most cases, it wasn't very good. That's why the Sonic's debut are in my top ten, it's raw energetic garage all the way, and i don't know another album like that, made in the 60s.

(Now listening to: Al Kooper, Mike Bloomfield - Season of the witch)

Last edited:

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
What do you think of ? And The Mysterians?Any album tracks delve decently into defining the potential power of garage rock or were they not particularly too deep outside,of course,"96 Tears"?

laverc

█ █ █ █ █
Reaction score
Well man, i know their first album, and i think it's average, something i wouldn't recommend to casual fans. 96 Tears is the obvious standout, some other tracks are quite good, but not at the same level as that. And Action, their second album during the 60s, i haven't heard yet. Think i'll give it a try, and post my impressions later.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
^
Right on man, i know both, and i like them. The Monks had personality, and the count five's track is a classic "nugget" from that time, but i'm more into rawer garage stuff, from bands that unfortunately only released singles. Few garage bands managed to record an album, and in most cases, it wasn't very good. That's why the Sonic's debut are in my top ten, it's raw energetic garage all the way, and i don't know another album like that, made in the 60s.

Another Aussie groups that might interest you would be The Masters Apprentices. The later stuff they did probably wouldn't interest you cause they were a Progressive Rock group, though their early material has that Garage sound. They had a few albums their first album "The Masters Apprentices (1967)" you might find interesting. Unfortunately because this was an Aussie band, they had to travel to the UK and release an album there for the UK people which was called "The Masters Apprentices" which was known as "Choice Cuts" here in Australia. The 2xCD package I've got with that album has a whole swag of songs under the banner of "In the Garage, April 1966", which is more of the raw stuff from them.
Another interesting CD (which I haven't got), I believe is a Live Performance before "The Masters Apprentices" became "The Masters Apprentices" which they were known as "The Mustangs", though I believe a number of those tracks are on the CD I have, only they would have been revised, I was hesitant to get the CD unfortunately because they wanted a good $30 bucks for it and I was worried it would sound poor, cause some of these early Masters Apprentices are pretty crude. :D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online