Favorite Album(s) of the 60's

laverc

█ █ █ █ █
Reaction score
<-
Alright man, i like prog rock too, no problem about that, and i searched my HD for the Master's Apprentice (the name rang a bell) and i found two tracks. One's from Nuggets 2 box set, and the other's from a compilation called Ugly Things - Aussie garage, which i haven't heard for years. I liked both tracks, mainly the nuggets' one, and i also remember enjoying another bands from the Aussie comp. Think i gonna search for the apprentice's 2xCD pack you mentioned, the band sounds good judging for the tracks i tried - thank you for all the infos on the subject. Though i've been listening to garage comps for a long time, i don't have many original LP's of this style, since you can't find them here on Brasil anyway. Btw, any idea how big was the garage/beat scene back in the 60s in Australia? Though it is a very large country, i don't know many compilations exclusively of Aussie garage acts.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
<-
Alright man, i like prog rock too, no problem about that, and i searched my HD for the Master's Apprentice (the name rang a bell) and i found two tracks. One's from Nuggets 2 box set, and the other's from a compilation called Ugly Things - Aussie garage, which i haven't heard for years. I liked both tracks, mainly the nuggets' one, and i also remember enjoying another bands from the Aussie comp. Think i gonna search for the apprentice's 2xCD pack you mentioned, the band sounds good judging for the tracks i tried - thank you for all the infos on the subject. Though i've been listening to garage comps for a long time, i don't have many original LP's of this style, since you can't find them here on Brasil anyway. Btw, any idea how big was the garage/beat scene back in the 60s in Australia? Though it is a very large country, i don't know many compilations exclusively of Aussie garage acts.

The 4 Masters Apprentices tracks which stand out here in my mind are "Living in a Childs Dream","Elevator Driver", "Turn Up Your Radio" & "Because I Love You". "Because I Love You" was their biggest hit, though it was kind of the start of the end for the group, because they went to England to record (at Abbey Road), though The Masters Apprentices went to England with the feeling that they wanted to be successful and when they got there, it was like nobody in the UK had ever heard of them. So they recorded this album in 1970 which was called "Choice Cuts" here in Australia, with the intent of impressing and "Because I Love You" was their big draw card with distinct Rhythm and catchy chorus let simple "Do what you wanna Do, Be what you wanna be, yeah". Because the band had progressed from what they were in the mid-60s to that, there was probably a higher expectation at that time for the band to produce similar material. They had a followup album to "Choice Cuts", though it wasn't as successful.

I think in terms of style another Aussie group which had an edge in the 60s was The Loved Ones. The Loved Ones "Magic Box" may appeal to you which has all their main hits "The Loved One","Everlovin' Man","Sad Dark Eyes","A Love Like Ours", they do sing about Lovely things a lot, though their music is perhaps comparable to Van Morrison's "Them".

Unfortunately I'm not quite sure how big the Garage scene was here in Australia in the 60s, part of the problem is I'm not old enough to really know :uh: I do have Books on Australian music which lists many of the Aussie groups from those early days up until the early 2000s, my general feeling about it is Australia were kind of like following the rest of the world and the local bands were following what the Beatles were doing. Australia had success with other groups like the Seekers which were going well in the UK with their brand of pop-folk music and I think "The Easybeats" which were from the UK, recorded from Australia and were successful as a Beatle like group. The Bee-Gees also started off here as well and had a number of albums here before they went back home to the UK in the late 60s to do "Bee-Gees 1st" and then you have a number of other local bands which have that Beat-Rock sound to them with groups like "Ray Brown and the Whispers","The Twlights","The Allusions","The Aussie Cherokees","The Town Criers","Russell Morris","Ross D. Wylie","Ronnie Burns","The Group" & "Johnny Young and Kompany". Another group which probably had an edge to themselves is "Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs".

laverc

█ █ █ █ █
Reaction score
The 4 Masters Apprentices tracks which stand out here in my mind are "Living in a Childs Dream","Elevator Driver", "Turn Up Your Radio" & "Because I Love You" (...)

Thanks for all the valuable info, and sorry for the late reply, bro. I'd never read about this band, and their history seems quite interesting... I only feel sorry for most beat/garage bands who turned to psychedelic stuff (or some other trendy style of the times) at some point, cause most of them usually didn't make it as fine as their original sound.

About the Loved Ones, there are two american bands with this very same name, one of them released an original called "Surprise Surprise", which i enjoy a lot. I searched for more info about them, and found out about an album, which turned out to be, really, by the aussie Loved Ones. The other american Loved Ones released "Together together", kinda Doors like psych tune. All three bands sounds very different from one another, after all, and i guess maybe you know about them all as well, too.

About aussie beat/garage times, same here, i heard about the Easybeats, heard a compilation album or two on the subject, and not much more than that.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
About the Loved Ones, there are two american bands with this very same name, one of them released an original called "Surprise Surprise", which i enjoy a lot. I searched for more info about them, and found out about an album, which turned out to be, really, by the aussie Loved Ones. The other american Loved Ones released "Together together", kinda Doors like psych tune. All three bands sounds very different from one another, after all, and i guess maybe you know about them all as well, too.

No, I didn't know about that, but it doesn't really surprise me that other people would use the name.

I also mentioned "The Allusions" which I was fortunate to get their Anthology CD, which has all the tracks from their one and only album scattered throughout the CD. In general their music is described as Beat-Pop, though from their album they did a Ray Davies song "I Gotta Move", which has more of an edge to it as the song intensify's towards the end interesting to listen to cause they were performing between 1966-1968, the band ceased I think due to the Psychedelic music becoming more popular.

I think "The Allusions" called themselves that because several of their songs would sound similar to other songs, but then the song would be different. :D "Looks Like Trouble" is a nice example cause it opens up sounding like The Beatles "I Feel Fine" with the Guitar, but then changes. :D

laverc

█ █ █ █ █
Reaction score
I think "The Allusions" called themselves that because several of their songs would sound similar to other songs, but then the song would be different. :D "Looks Like Trouble" is a nice example cause it opens up sounding like The Beatles "I Feel Fine" with the Guitar, but then changes. :D

^^
Their concept is pretty interesting hehe, never heard about them, too. I liked the second track, the song does really sound as you said, but even after the intro they still sound like The beatles, english stuff, etc

Khor1255

Reaction score
I'm trying to narrow it down to just one album. Man it is hard. I think...Are You Experienced but then again..Zeppelin 1? That is one of my favorite albums anyone has ever made (as is the Experience album). And then to stymie up the whole works somebody had to go out and make an album like This Was!!!!!!!!!!

Damn you musicians and your scorchingly great decade for rock!

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
^^
Their concept is pretty interesting hehe, never heard about them, too. I liked the second track, the song does really sound as you said, but even after the intro they still sound like The beatles, english stuff, etc

I thought I might of written about this group ages ago, though I couldn't find anything, so I might do something about that soon. The one album they had is pretty interesting one, all the tracks might be on YouTube.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
HI Khor..Put the notion of narrowing down this '60's album thing down to one album right out of your head.Can't be done.For the entire 60's,it's impossible to narrow things down to just one for any ONE YEAR let alone the entire decade.Too many greats too great on too many great levels.....

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Easy to narrow down for me since the 60s don't have many albums I like.
I will go with The Doors self titled debut. Nothing comes close to that one for me.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online