Elton John (Official Thread)

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Re: Elton John

"Levon" was always my favorite song from Madman, and it might well be my favorite of all of his songs, but I'd have to give that some serious thought.

As far as my top three EJ albums, well...hmm...

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

e1b3c060ada03a12e7198110.L._AA240_.jpg

You're not a ship to carry my life
You are nailed to my love in many lonely nights
I've strayed from the cottages and found myself here
For I need your love your love protects my fears

And I wonder sometimes and I know I'm unkind
But I need you to turn to when I act so blind
And I need you to turn to when I lose control
You're my guardian angel who keeps out the cold

Did you paint your smile on, well I said I knew
That my reason for living was for loving you
We're related in feeling but you're high above
You're pure and you're gentle with the grace of a dove

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score

Don't believe I've apreeshed Sir Elton in this thread yet.

Well, I will now :D

This guy is totally awesome :D One of my mates picks on me for listening to me, but the only reason I can get out of him as to why he doesn't like it is "He's gay". Which annoys me. But I digress.

Long live Elton :D

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

I guess I'd say Tumbleweed would have to be my favorite, followed closely by Madman, and for third I'd be hard pressed to choose among Elton John, Honky Chateau or Don't Shoot Me.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Don't believe I've apreeshed Sir Elton in this thread yet.

Well, I will now :D

This guy is totally awesome :D One of my mates picks on me for listening to me, but the only reason I can get out of him as to why he doesn't like it is "He's gay". Which annoys me. But I digress.

Long live Elton :D

It is utterly ridiculous for anyone to say just because he's gay I don't like his music...but some people are just set in their ways.

Feldy we Knew Elton's sexuality back in the early 70's, he made no attempt to hide the fact he was different, and in the 70's that was a Huge deal. But I never let it affect my love of his music, it stands on it's own merits.

Craig,,,nice list :bow:

I am going to post mine tomorrow morning after having a listen to the three albums in question.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score

It is utterly ridiculous for anyone to say just because he's gay I don't like his music...but some people are just set in their ways.

Feldy we Knew Elton's sexuality back in the early 70's, he made no attempt to hide the fact he was different, and in the 70's that was a Huge deal. But I never let it affect my love of his music, it stands on it's own merits.

Yeah, I know it's ridiculous, but this guy often makes an attempt to slag off at any "Old band" that isn't on the charts and it comes out in an amusing fashion... Beatles are unlistenable because they have silly haircuts, ZZ Top are unlistenable because the don't have haircuts...

I often find it ironic that one of his favorite tunes is a pop cover of "Under Pressure", yet he won't listen to Elton because of his homosexuality.. I've never brought myself to tell this guy that Bowie and Mercury, who both have songwriting credits, were both not entirely straight... :tongue:

But anyway, he's a lovely guy unless you're discussing music. And we've gone off-topic a bit.

Carry on :D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Yeah, I know it's ridiculous, but this guy often makes an attempt to slag off at any "Old band" that isn't on the charts and it comes out in an amusing fashion... Beatles are unlistenable because they have silly haircuts, ZZ Top are unlistenable because the don't have haircuts...

I often find it ironic that one of his favorite tunes is a pop cover of "Under Pressure", yet he won't listen to Elton because of his homosexuality.. I've never brought myself to tell this guy that Bowie and Mercury, who both have songwriting credits, were both not entirely straight... :tongue:

But anyway, he's a lovely guy unless you're discussing music. And we've gone off-topic a bit.

Carry on :D

Ugh.....ok that sort of thinking bothers a lot....
I think what you should do is play an Elton John song(s) that your friend wouldn't know is him whether because it's lesser known or because it doesn't sound like him and if he likes it then rub in his face who performed it. I've done that to several of my friend in various ways with quite a few bands over the years. :D

As for my three favorite albums from Elton, as I said my favorite is hands down "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and following that I think I'd have to say maybe "Honky Château" and as much as I want to give the third spot to "Caribou" I've actually been really loving his "Made In England" album from the mid 90's a lot lately so I think I'm going to go with that one. His singing isn't like it was 20 year earlier but I think the songwriting is fantastic.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I am more surprised by Caribou than any others in consideration for a spot on your top three list Cosmic, I didn't really get into that one very much...perhaps I'll have to revisit it but all of us were kind of disappointed when it was released. Not nearly as bad as "Rock of the Westies", that was one of the low points of his 70's records, I do like "Island Girl" though, and have it on a compilation CD.:tup:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I think "Caribou" can be overlooked, especially since it's the follow up to "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. There are the hits "The Bitch is Back" and of course "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me", but aside from those two there others that I really enjoy such as "Grimsby" and the closing track "Ticking".

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

I think what you should do is play an Elton John song(s) that your friend wouldn't know is him whether because it's lesser known or because it doesn't sound like him and if he likes it then rub in his face who performed it. I've done that to several of my friend in various ways with quite a few bands over the years. :D

I did something similar to a co-worker back in the '80s when the "minimalist" rock movement was afoot, with groups like the Bodeans, dBs, etc. This guy claimed to hate the Beatles, so I made a minimalist mix tape to listen to in the drafting room and included "Anna" from Please Please Me because a) it fit into the "minimalist" mold well, and b) unless you know the recording, you might not immediately recognize it as the Beatles. He actually liked the song and was mildly embarrassed (and irritated with me) when I told him who it was.

He was also the one who, after one listen to my "Real Gas Music from Jupiter" tape that included the Violent Femmes' "Country Death Song," told me, "don't ever play that here again." :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online