ELP : Emerson, Lake, & Palmer (Official Thread)

E-Z

Reaction score
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER were a BIG NAME back in the early 1970s in the UK there number called Hoedown was heard all the time on the Alan 'fluff' Freeman show on BBC radio 1.

FANFARE FOR THE COMMON MAN from 1977 still sounds cool.

The album cover for LOVE BEACH still brings a smile to my face 35 years on. :D

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Abaddon's Bolero is another one I love.

SloopJohnB

Reaction score
Emerson, Lake & Palmer was one of my favorite bands back in the 1970's. I saw them twice in concert in early 1978 during their Works tour. Both concerts were in Springfield, MA on January 29, 1978 and March 12, 1978. The March 12th show was originally scheduled for Hartford, CT but the Hartford Civic Center roof collapsed in January of 1978, and the show was moved to Springfield for a second show, giving me a chance to see them again. I jumped at the chance! Back then $7.50 bought me a seat four rows from the stage...

tkt2h.jpg

I took my cheap Instamatic camera to the March show and snapped a bunch of pictures. I posted them on Angelfire a long time ago, and they're still there. The quality of these pics isn't that great because of the lighting and my cheap camera, but here they are. Just click on the links...

http://www.angelfire.com/art/jeffmc4/

Both shows were awesome! I was very close to the stage both times. Here is a review of the January 29, 1978 show in the local Springfield paper...

jan291978.jpg

After the 1970's I liked some of Greg Lake's solo work, as well as Emerson, Lake & Powell in the 1980's. My interest in ELP had faded quite a bit by the 1990's, but I did buy the CD's they put out when they reformed for awhile. Greg Lake's voice sounded kind of shot by then (too much smoking?). I'll always be a fan, but they will always be a 1970's band to me.

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
It's about time people are uploading the full ENDLESS ENIGMA (all three sections).

There for awhile all one could find was the first part.

Anyway...this HAS to be my all time favorite ELP track....complete version of course.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Carl Palmer Says Failed 2010 Show Killed Chances for Larger ELP Reunion

emersonlakeandpalmer1.jpg

SOURCE LINK

Fans searching for an answer as to why Emerson, Lake and Palmer are unlikely to ever play again need only listen to their final reunion performance, drummer Carl Palmer says. For him, their set at 2010′s High Voltage Festival was simply not up to the group’s lofty standards — despite a lengthy acclimation period beforehand.

After that, any hopes for a larger reunion tour were nixed.

“We rehearsed for five weeks, which I could never understand why we needed to rehearse that long,” Palmer tells Jeb Wright of Classic Rock Revisited. “Upon hearing the recordings, maybe five weeks was not long enough. It wasn’t to the standard that I liked and I didn’t think it sounded that good.”

Of course, ELP has taken lengthy breaks before. The group was inactive from 1978-91, and had not played together for some 12 years before assembling again in 2010. But Palmer seems determined to move on these days. He has continued to record and tour with Asia, which has a new project in the works for 2013. Palmer is also appearing now with his own group ELP Legacy — which, unlike his former prog-rock supergroup, features a guitarist in Paul Bielatowicz.

Palmer says that allows him to reference the past without having to repeat it.

“For me, it’s just a pride thing,” Palmer adds. “Unless it’s as good as what it can be, then I can’t do it. I would have carried on if it had been as good as it was. I don’t believe it was and I don’t believe it would have ever gotten back to that standard.”

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I've got the High Voltage CD complete with a lengthy pause due to a sound problem. It is as if no-one thought they should listen to the tape, never mind edit it, before transferring the performance to the CD. In consideration of the performance, there are criticisms of Keith Emerson's playing due to problems with his fingers, but I cannot hear the difference. The main problem is with Greg Lake's singing, which is unusually out of time and tune. Overall, you expect ELP to be very tight, but they are the opposite on this album.

It would've been better to have released the FULL Royal Albert Hall performance from 1992, which is perfect to my ears. Then, they could have looked at High Voltage and given it some judicious editing. Despite the relatively poor quality of the reformation show, ELP should have considered a new studio album in my view.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually its good to see a band be honest and admit they may not be able to keep up to the standards they set in the past. No thanks to a studio album if the band doesn't think they could have done a good one.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Has anyone listened to ELP Live in Poland by any chance and can tell how it compares to other live performances?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online

No members online now.