Register to remove these ads

ELP : Emerson, Lake, & Palmer (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by The Rover, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Sox

Sox Avoiding The Swan Song

That's right LG and I play BSS when ever I can get away with it :) i.e. when Tray's not around. I agree with you though any of the first four studio albums and of course the live "Pictures" and "Welcome Back My Friends" are well worth exploring. :grinthumb

2. Black Dahlia

Black Dahlia A Seasoned Witch

Brain Salad Surgery is the album that I have purchased the most number of times! LP, cassette, CD, Re-mastered CD, two special edition CD's, plus download.

I even have, what I think is, a quadraphonic copy from the old napster days.

Jerusalem is sooo regal, Toccata is crazy-good, Still... You turn Me On is just plain hot, Benny The Bouncer I could do without, and Karn Evil 9 is epic and diverse... but I still like the side-long masterpiece that is Tarkus, better. [​IMG]

3. LG

LG Fade To Black

I was thinking the same thing, that's either headphones or wait till Tray is out shopping and put BSS on the platter.:gig

I'm not sure but I believe BSS is ELP's best selling album...:think:

I see you did your part Black Dahlia. Hard for me to put the ones after the debut in any kind of permanent order of preference but the first 4 are all essential additions to anyone's prog collection.;)

4. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

I think you are right, LG. BSS is their top selling album. I have also purchased that in several formats.......

8 track, album, cassette, and I pillaged the CD. :D

Another one that I have in several formats is Tarkus....

5. LG

LG Fade To Black

^^The German "Manitcore" CD's are spectacular! Easily the best ever done for digital. I do have Tarkus and the Debut on new vinyl...couldn't resist I bought them on sight.:D

6. Sox

Thinking about those who may be just starting to get into this or any band and their sound. I have always thought it important to get hold of or at least try to listen to a live offering. With ELP "Pictures" is a brilliant pick-up but also I reckon "Welcome Back My Friends" is another belter, questions over the choice not to tamper and overdub in the studio to deal with feedback, leakage etc. have been raised but I think the quality of their ability to deliver live at that time and the sheer musical talent carries the day.

[​IMG]

For me it's an essential part of my ELP collection.

7. LG

LG Fade To Black

^^I've got that one, I like it more than Pictures myself.:peek

8. Sox

It's a top live offering LG. I do like "Pictures" though. I have the DVD too for an extra fix when Tray's not around.:heheh:

9. Black Dahlia

Black Dahlia A Seasoned Witch

[​IMG]

10. LG

LG Fade To Black

I prefer the classical version Old Ent, the solo piano(which is what Mussorgsky composed in the first place) and Ravel's updated orchestral version.

ELP I give kudos for 'avving a go at it', but Pictures is a phenomenal piece, combined with A Night On Bald Mountain it's one of the first classical bits I would recommend to anyone curious about the genre.

I'm sure Tray appreciates you waiting till she's 20 km's away before breaking out the DVD.:gig