Electronica isn't all bad

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumbass question but is electronica a subgenre of electronic music or is it the same? Anyway I will hold my hands up and admit I've voiced my dislikes on this forum of electronic dance music like techno and rave (those two Prodigy tracks I posted are as close as it gets on my liking this type of thing). But some of the bands in this thread certainly have songs I like, as I said earlier there's a few of Pendulum's I like, a couple of Goldfrapp and likewise with The Chemical Brothers and Daft Punk. Admittedly I don't own any of their albums, although I have downloaded a couple of Pendulum songs. I get confused with all the different genres/subgenres of electronic music, but I do know I really don't like that superfast electronic dance music or the likes of Basshunter, Scooter and Cascada.

Ok so the lyrics aren't groundbreaking on this one but its so freaky and wtf that you just got to love it :grinthumb

It always gives me the creeps big style! As does Windowlicker!

I have a particular fondness for this track:

Fat Boy Slim - Weapon of Choice

Probably because I love the video so much - Christopher Walken is ace :grinthumb

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumbass question but is electronica a subgenre of electronic music or is it the same?

Tray.. I'm with you on not really knowing what is what.. A friend of mine (From England) told me bands like Duran Duran, and most of the 80's dance groups were Electronica.. I guess just because they use more synths or sampled music piped through a keyboard.. This is when the electronic drums came around so you have a whole band that uses Keyboards that cover the whole instrument thing..:cheers2
Out of what's been posted I would say YUP that's electronica.. If you type in electronica on you tube this is what you get..

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Tray.. I'm with you on not really knowing what is what.. A friend of mine (From England) told me bands like Duran Duran, and most of the 80's dance groups were Electronica.. I guess just because they use more synths or sampled music piped through a keyboard.. This is when the electronic drums came around so you have a whole band that uses Keyboards that cover the whole instrument thing..:cheers2
Out of what's been posted I would say YUP that's electronica.. If you type in electronica on you tube this is what you get..

Thanks Slip'n :grinthumb Well I used to be the biggest Duran Duran fan when I was in my very early teens :) And by that token this would definitely come under the genre

Gary Numan/Tubeway Army - Are Friends Electric

I suspect Gary Numan, Duran Duran and the like would be more likely to come under other genres though - Gary new wave synth pop/rock and the Durans are usually first and foremost labelled New Romantics, although they'd also come under synth pop & new wave. All these different genres get me in a right muddle :confused:

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
R-1607852-1292532179.jpeg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
This album was released in the mid 70's, and sounded unlike anything I had ever heard before. A single composer using keyboards/synthesizers to create a wash of soundscapes.

I will always classify it as "Electronica", no matter what happened to the genre later.

oxygene_CD_large.jpg

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
This album was released in the mid 70's, and sounded unlike anything I had ever heard before. A single composer using keyboards/synthesizers to create a wash of soundscapes.

I will always classify it as "Electronica", no matter what happened to the genre later.

oxygene_CD_large.jpg

Isn't he the guy who has fantastic laser displays at his shows?

There's a French duo (at least I think they are a duo) called Air - I reckon they would be classed as Electronica??? Anyway there's a track they do that I really like, but I can never remember the name, I'll have to try and find it on YouTube.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online