Electronic: Depeche Mode (Official Thread)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
DEPECHE MODE

Depeche Mode Official Website
Last.FM: Depeche Mode
Wikipedia: Depeche Mode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depeche Mode are an 80's english new wave electropop band. They've spent a long time in my current collection, and are a band I can listen to when i'm in a bit of a different mood. Wouldn't expect them to be rated to highly by a large group of people anywhere, because their sound is definitely an acquired taste. Even took me a while to be able to stand it, than I started hearing the actual music that was being put into it, thus being able to enjoy the music. Which was nice.

DISCOGRAPHY

Speak & Spell
1982 A Broken Frame
1983 Construction Time Again
1984 Some Great Reward
1986 Black Celebration
1987 Music for the Masses
1990 Violator
1993 Songs of Faith and Devotion
1997 Ultra
2001 Exciter
2005 Playing the Angel
2009 Sounds of the Universe
2013 Delta Machine
2017 Spirit
2023 Memento Moro

Out of their entire discography, I would imagine they are most familiarized by their Violator release.

It was one of the first releases I got from them, and when I would introduce this band to other people, they would recognize some of the songs right away, especially:

Enjoy The Silence

Though, that's not to say that their other releases and songs aren't great, I personally enjoy close to everything they've released. They are just a band with a lot of uniqueness, though it does their music justice in the best ways possible.

Last edited:

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Re: Depeche Mode (Official Thread)

OMG... I swear to you, when I was in the shower just now I was thinking of making a Depeche Mode thread. Crazy!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Depeche Mode (Official Thread)

I really like all the staples like "Enjoy The Silence", "Personal Jesus" and "Dream Om" but I really like this deeper cut by them. Beautiful love song by a band I wouldn't expect to make one. The lyrics are as pure and beautiful as I've ever seen in a love song. Who doesn't want what he wants in this song. :)

Somebody

I want somebody to share
Share the rest of my life
Share my innermost thoughts
Know my intimate details
Someone wholl stand by my side
And give me support
And in return
Shell get my support
She will listen to me
When I want to speak
About the world we live in
And life in general
Though my views may be wrong
They may even be perverted
Shell hear me out
And wont easily be converted
To my way of thinking
In fact shell often disagree
But at the end of it all
She will understand me
I want somebody who cares
For me passionately
With every thought and
With every breath
Someone wholl help me see things
In a different light
All the things I detest
I will almost like
I dont want to be tied
To anyones strings
Im carefully trying to steer clear of
Those things
But when Im asleep
I want somebody
Who will put their arms around me
And kiss me tenderly
Though things like this
Make me sick
In a case like this
I`ll get away with it

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
My dad was listening to Depeche Mode greatest hits compilation album quite a lot and somehow I get that "it's nice to hear them again after years" feeling, when I listen to something different than Enjoy The Silence and Personal Jesus. We also had Black Celebration on vinyl, which today for me it's a bit shocking. Anyway, from all of that, this song wasn't on the compilation album, but I really like it, Never Let Me Down Again.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
1987 Music for the Masses
1990 Violator

Never was much for their entire library, but I do own the two albums above. Both came out in my college days, and both have tunes that remind me of some fine parties. :cheers2

Never Let Me Down Again is a great tune. I always prefered the Aggro remix they released on EP.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I remember their early career as they were quite big in the UK around the early to mid 80's and then their sound changed a little and became less commercial. I have a best of compilation which covers their music from 1981-1985. Their music is not to everyone's taste but I thought they were quite good, not the best but there is a time and a place to listen to them imho:)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Always got time for DEPECHE MODE, liked them from their early electro futurist teenage years to the present and have a handful of their albums....very influential band not just to the electronic scene but to the darkwave aswell. Excellent songwriters !! :grinthumb

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I agree Sooty, Somebody is a lovely song! They really do have a lot of good musicianship in their songs, and some of the melodies they have created simply rock. :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online