• Yes!!

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No!!

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure if I can pick either option here as I often enjoy extended guitar solos (I also enjoy extended organ/keyboard solos) and I dig some live performances which have four minutes or more of improvised solos (this to me is However, I don't enjoy lengthy drum solos - I don't really like them that much on record either bar Led Zeppelin's Moby Dick. I'm somewhere in the middle about bass solos, I don't like them as much as the guitar or keyboard solos (I don't find them as exciting or moving) but I definitely prefer them to drum solos.

wisertime

Keep on Truckin'
Reaction score
I don't like when they are part of the set list, rather, I dig it when they are spontaneous and the band just goes with it.

JimJam

Reaction score
No, with the exception of the great jam bands such as the Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers. Those guys could sustain solos and spontaneous interplay (well, more often than not).

I saw Zep 38 years ago - awesome! - but I can still remember the draaaaag of Bonzo's endless drum solo during "Moby Dick." No one ever surpassed Bonzo as a band drummer, not a soloist. Most rock musicians are made to rock, not jam. Leave the improv to jazz musicians.

Last edited:

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
I love it when a band improvises and there are great solos. The proviso is that the musicians must be very good. It's embaressing for everyone when a guitarist drops notes, etc

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hell yes! Spontaneous solo jams are awesome.

The way I look at an extended concert solo is............the musical preacher is speaking to you!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online