Dream Theater (Official Thread)

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Currently on the first spin of "The Astonishing" and so far it's just mind-blowing, but I want to mention something that annoys the hell out of me. Dunno if there's other versions, but I bought the 2 CD digipak and the damn booklet is glued to the digi. I HATE when labels do that!

Enchlore

Mechanical Pianist
Reaction score
Moment of Betrayal reminds me a bit of a Protomen track (from an upcoming album), "This City Made Us". Here's a video so you can determine if I'm just tripping balls or there's a slight similarity. Both tracks seem to give me a mid-90s Iron Maiden vibe, too, so maybe it's an influence (both bands like Maiden).

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Currently on the first spin of "The Astonishing" and so far it's just mind-blowing, but I want to mention something that annoys the hell out of me. Dunno if there's other versions, but I bought the 2 CD digipak and the damn booklet is glued to the digi. I HATE when labels do that!

Speaking of digipaks I absolutely loathe when the cd is not on a tab but in a sleeve. I hate having to slide the disc out to use it.

Enchlore

Mechanical Pianist
Reaction score
Anyone else have anything to say about The Astonishing? I really really love concept albums, and I heard both positive and negative reactions to this one, and while I want to get a physical copy for the booklet, I don't know if it's worth it.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Anyone else have anything to say about The Astonishing? I really really love concept albums, and I heard both positive and negative reactions to this one, and while I want to get a physical copy for the booklet, I don't know if it's worth it.

Yes, I bought it on the release date and have listened to it several times since. As I've already mentioned somewhere else, due to its length, it takes many spins to appreciate the depth of this work and I'm sure many people simply won't have the attention span for it. I think it's superb, there a moments on previous albums that I prefer, but overall, I think it's one of the better Dream Theater albums in quite a while. They took a risk with this one and it paid off. I'd always recommend a physical copy, but if you are unsure, why not give the album a listen online and then decide. In case you missed it above, I have to warn you about the booklet: it's glued to the Digi.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Yes, I bought it on the release date and have listened to it several times since. As I've already mentioned somewhere else, due to its length, it takes many spins to appreciate the depth of this work and I'm sure many people simply won't have the attention span for it. I think it's superb, there a moments on previous albums that I prefer, but overall, I think it's one of the better Dream Theater albums in quite a while. They took a risk with this one and it paid off. I'd always recommend a physical copy, but if you are unsure, why not give the album a listen online and then decide. In case you missed it above, I have to warn you about the booklet: it's glued to the Digi.
Yes spot on dude...:bow::grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online